PDA

View Full Version : Tire question

Gunther
01-05-2005, 08:24 AM
In preperation for a new track season I'm getting some new track tires and was wondering if I should get my tires "Heat cycled" or not? They are Michelin Sport Cups. Don't know what the pros and cons are. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks!

Jase007
01-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Gunther:

Heat cycling readies a tire for instant use as in "pull into the pits, slap some heat cycled (and scrubbed) tires on it and take off to get back on the track" not wanting to wait, have to maximize every lap second, championship is at stake kind of thing :lol:

Michelin PSC seem to be favorites for those running 17" and larger REWC cars. Don't' see them a lot on 15" and 16" shodded cars.

Personally, I wouldn't bother for DE or amateur racing. You will heat cycle them at least once on your drive to the track right? In olden-golden days, DOT-R hi-po tires only had X-cycles in them, and wouldn't really work well until you cycled a few times. Nowadays, R compound tires will run all day, for many heat cycles (although ... at the end some grip is compromised) until you can see the cords ... IMHE (e=experience).

This is why the Toyo Proxes RA-1s are favorites ... do all of the above...happily (shaved or not). I run them on the track as a spec race tire in several series. Hoosiers seem to have more grip but don't seem to last as long (I run enduros). For DE, I wouldn't shave them or heat cycle them before putting them on my car. You WANT the squeal and if they get hot ... you want them to start to feel greasy b/c this will let you know you are approaching the edges of track-hesion (new-word 8) )

Good luck.

Jase

racer
01-05-2005, 04:50 PM
If your're unsure, buy them un-heat cycled. I would be more than willing to heat cycle them for you once they are installed on your turbo :D

Jazzbass
01-05-2005, 05:08 PM
If your're unsure, buy them un-heat cycled. I would be more than willing to heat cycle them for you once they are installed on your turbo :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what's great about this group - always willing to go that extra mile to help another member out. Very generous of you. :wink:

Don Wohlfarth
01-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Depends on how you are going to use the tire. For street and de I would not heat cycle them.
The Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are designed for later model Porsches (that are a little more "portly").
Biggest problem is getting these tires up to temp. Should not be a problem with your car.

cmartin
01-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Bold move Gunther. Those tires alone make your car scarried by 2x. I'll be sure to give you the point asap. :shock:

Gunther
01-07-2005, 06:41 AM
The generosity of my fellow board members almost brings a tear to my eyes.

All kidding aside thanks for the comments. These will be my track tires with very limited use on the roads. So I will take the advice and get non shaved or heat cycled tires.

Not sure if the portly comment was directed to me or my car or both? But no matter, that is why I got the Turbo. So as I get more portly I just turn up the boost.

Thanks guys!

Don Wohlfarth
01-07-2005, 09:09 AM
The Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are designed for later model Porsches (that are a little more "portly").

Copy of email from Michelin tires dated 5-14-03:

"Don, we HAVE to give very ambiguous suggestions when advising the 'typical' consumer - thus the 32 - 36 psi recommendation. Even though the Pilot Sport CUP was designed and tuned for Porsche and Club Racing, the sizes designed in Europe are intended for stock application (read heavy, and little if any suspension modifications). As well, we can't control the vehicles on which they end-up as we've talked to consumers with Mustang's (too small for the car), Corvette (way too small) and Ferrari (too small on the rear) all trying to use the tire. So, when someone who's pretty buttoned-up has a situation that we can assist in finding a solution, we dive together, a bit deeper. I run a 1900# GT3 class 911 with way too large tires and find that I need to be in the same neighborhood for pressures and we've worked with a GT4 914 at 1700# (255/40-17 front and 285/30-18 rear) that has a real problem with insufficient heat. Good work on your part will pay dividends. And thanks for sticking with DE, folks with a bit of knowledge are needed - and I'm sure appreciated by the likes of Pete.

Doug Brown
Ultra High Performance & Motorsports Business Development
Manager, Programs and Operations"

The Pete in this email is Pete Tremper, Natiional DE Chair, who suggested that I contact Doug base on problems with getting Sport Cups up to temperature with a lightweight 914.
My comments were based on this email.
I have no idea if Michelin designs tires for portly drivers. ;)

Gunther
01-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Don I have Michelin's on my car and Dunlap's on my belly. Thanks for your comments!!! :D

Don Wohlfarth
01-07-2005, 06:00 PM
My spare tire(s) is courtesy of Krispy Kreme. ;)

racer
01-07-2005, 07:17 PM
My spare tire(s) is courtesy of Krispy Kreme. ;)

Will you be "restating" your earnings too? I will argue that instead of gaining 10lbs because of their donughts, I really only gained 6.. mmm (what with the currency fluctuations et al.