PDA

View Full Version : Southern Maryland Roads--Undiscovered Country (TOP SECRET)

holminator
12-20-2004, 01:55 PM
If you have a motorcycle, you may already know about this secret. Let me get to the bottom line:

- Take MD Route 210 south down to Indian Head, MD
- Turn left onto Route 225 (traffic light near a school...speed trap too)
- Break right at the traffic light on Route 224 and let the fun begin!
- Decision point at Route 224 & 344 junction (makes no difference which one you take because both are fun but I like turning right to stay with 224)
- Continue on 224 (tree canopy takes hold and you can hear banjos playing in the background..."Shor' do got a pretty mouth, boy..." Your cell phone has no signal...no traffic...but watch for the wifelife...need to walk--check out Purse State Park but not during hunting season :) )
- 224 links up with Route 6, which you can stay on as long as you like, or bolt onto to twisty Route 425 (you'll have two chances to get on 425 from Route 6 so don't sweat it)
- Hungry? Follow Route 6 east and turn south onto Route 301 then turn right onto Popes Creek Road for a stop at 3 different crab joints on the river....

Fill your tank before you do this trip because you will have not an opportunity to fill up on the circuit. I do variations of the above circuit several times a month. There are so many smaller roads near it that I have not mentioned. Take a GPS if you have one. The lack of traffic and twist & turns will amaze you. The area is (was) :roll: one of the best kept secrets in the area! :)

If we survive the winter, I would like to propose a fun run through the woods down the the river for crabs!

brianr
01-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I appreciate the info...
I live in Cheverly and am looking for places to dirve instead of route 50 with the crotch rockets going 120 out past the beltway!
This keeps me from having to go through DC to VA and whacking my wheels to get to an enjoyable road.
There are some twisties south of 50 but seem to be access to too many developments and I don't want to run up on a minvan or bike around some blind curve.
Maybe I'll try it this weekend if the wether keeps holding out.
I'll help push for a fun run that way too!

cmartin
01-07-2005, 01:37 PM
I didnt know they had paved the road down there. :)

holminator
01-31-2005, 06:34 PM
And running water, too....I hope it doesn't change too much! :)

george 4man
05-09-2005, 07:59 PM
the secret's out:

i took on the circuit and it was long and challenging, well the bottleneck part was where route 6 begins. the road gets smaller and bumpier and there are no banjos fer miles, just sticks and an occasional monster truck...

holminator
07-18-2005, 06:42 PM
I've decided that Robertson's is my favorite of the crab joints in Popes Creek. Ask for Jo as your server and mention my name. She's cool! Great service! Window seat on the river is the best!

Peter Anselmo
10-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Try Governor's bridge Road, from the 1st light south of RT 50 on 3/301. It starts at 301 and goes East, parallel (sort of) to 50 to Annapolis. You won't be disappointed.

brianr
10-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks Pete. I have been exploring around the area and it's nice that this is so close to me. I was looking for a quick ride last Sunday, ended up driving straight on rt 50. :('

My87Targa
10-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks Pete. I have been exploring around the area and it's nice that this is so close to me. I was looking for a quick ride last Sunday, ended up driving straight on rt 50. :('
hehe you live right by where i work. i work off tuxedo rd.

brianr
10-31-2005, 08:26 AM
that's cool. Do you own a White Targa witha tail? I see it parked on Tuxedo Road. Then later when it drives up Cheverly Ave after work.

blueshark928
11-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Very nice roads. They really bring out the your inner squid. I went down there today with some fellow Ducati owners. I didnt follow the above route and probably should have. We were all over the place. I need a GPS.

holminator
07-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Crab run anyone? :)

vove
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Crab run anyone? :)

Im down for crabs anytime.:)