PDA

View Full Version : HANS device

BobNovas
10-27-2004, 04:55 PM
I went to the HANS site and watched the video of a 35MPH crash with and without HANS device (http://www.hansdevice.com/testResults.html near the bottom right). It's pretty compelling. What's the thinking on the necessity of a HANS device for a hardcore DE junkie? Would anyone be interested in a group buy?

cmartin
10-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Compelling video for sure. I dont mean to split hairs, but in the video the belts dont appear to be snug on the 'driver'. If they are snug, I didnt realize belts stretched that much!

There is a lot of talk about HANS and similar setup's on the various forums of late. It seems the seat, helmet and head restraint system all work together, and each must be designed to work with the other. For a guys that still runs stock belts at DE I this seems a bit much. Are you thinking of going just with the HANS, or also a seat and helmet?

Just trying to learn.

Jase007
10-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Bob:

Here is a recent thread on this. (http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/viewtopic.php?t=2004)

No conclusion really. Didn't run HANS at VIR SVRA finale as planned.

Chris: HANS only works if you have the shoulder belts to hold the collar down. Thus, need 5-6 point harness. You can use with stock seats as several on this board do with a harness setup. For price info just got new belts in tub from mrpoducts.com. Cam-lock, 3", 5-point setup for $68 each. Total $136. These do NOT have an "H" that holds shoulder straps together (behind stock or track seats). Don't need if you have a crossbar in your roll-bar.

IMO the "ultralite HANS device" (CF) for ONLY a few hundred $ more is not worth getting.

Jase

BobNovas
10-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Jase - Thanks for pointing out that belts are consumables - they need to be replaced every couple years, or sooner if there's been an incident. I'm planning on new belts, and maybe the HANS and a new helmet. That'll pretty much cover Christmas, birthday and movies for the foreseeable future.

Jase007
10-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Bob:

Sounds like you are getting outfitted ... :wink: 8) FYI: you can get quick release tethers for "unhooking' straps from helmet and extra attachment pins / washers for multiple helmets (sharing a device). As long as users have similar seat inclinations (safe with P-cars) and neck sizes that fall into the same range (15.5" to 18" is one HANS device size).

Jase

nein14-6
10-27-2004, 08:51 PM
I am buying one this winter so I would be interested if you do a group buy.

Rob G

Lucky
10-27-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm interested, too. Have you approached them to find out if they offer group discounts?

Jase007
10-27-2004, 09:54 PM
I haven't approached for a group buy b/c I didn't know there was any interest. I am only looking for one more. Assuming you both want one and Bob N. wants one that would make four. I could certainly call and ask if they would entertain the idea of a group buy. I'll check with some race shops to see if they get any discount. Might be a better way for us to keep spare $ in our P-car pockets.

Will let you know.

Jase

Jim Richards
10-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Jase, I'm not sure how deep my pockets are gonna be with the engine rebuild, but I'm interested.

DAR951
10-28-2004, 07:05 PM
...I didn't know there was any interest... I could certainly call and ask if they would entertain the idea of a group buy. Jase

Jason, I too am interested if you can manage a "significant" discount... I wasn't really prepared to drop all that cash at the moment, but intend to before next season, so if the price for a group is a good one, I'll jump now.

Mackpipes
10-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Do they come in chrome, or with built in neon kits. If so. I'm sooo in! :P

rs911t
10-29-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm interested.