PDA

View Full Version : Night on the town with the Dorki crew

87turbolook911
10-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Last year we talked about getting together for a lunch or dinner. Thought it would be a good opportunity to recognize the hard work our dorki moderators have done. We can give out gag awards.

Being that my wife has been very understanding about the p-car (actually cars in general) fascination, I thought it might also be a good opportunity for the wife to meet the people I hang out with. Maybe for all with significant others, we can take this opportunity to say "thanks".

Gotta be a restaurant that is good, not too pricey, good service, and plenty of parking.

Who's in?

VaSteve
10-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Great idea! I think I can get Barb to come. She has been generally understanding of me and the car.

Based on the other thread, I'm guessing the Glory Days is not an option?

Jim Richards
10-12-2004, 09:07 AM
I would try to participate.

vove
10-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Sounds like fun, Im in.

Eli
10-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Great idea! I think I can get Barb to come. She has been generally understanding of me and the car.

No...not Glory days...unless you're planning a 6 hour outing and don't mind Rod Stewart and Celine Dione blaring in your ear... :lol:
I'm in as well.

ecohen
10-12-2004, 11:33 AM
When are you thinking?

Jazzbass
10-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Ummm.... no.

I think this is a great idea. How about something in the Bethesda/Tysons Corner area - that way its kind of central to everyone. I think DC is out on the grounds of parking alone. One idea would be the Cheesecake Factory in Bethesda - lots of parking and very extensive menu.

Making it any night except Friday or Saturday would probably also be a good idea, as getting a large reservation one of those nights in this area would be tough. Sunday night would probably be best.

Chronos
10-12-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm in!

little b
10-12-2004, 12:31 PM
i like the idea of a Sunday evening!
Most people leave it open....want to be home...but we are dorkis!
And those that work the weekends, will hopefully be off by then.
Could be a really good turn out. thumbs up!

just not too late, for sake of babysitters' schoolnight.

Parenn911
10-12-2004, 12:41 PM
I think this is a great idea. How about something in the Bethesda/Tysons Corner area - that way its kind of central to everyone. I think DC is out on the grounds of parking alone. One idea would be the Cheesecake Factory in Bethesda - lots of parking and very extensive menu.
Oh no, I hope I didn't hear Chris trying to give a suggestion on where to eat :shock: JK :lol: .
Actually this time I think he has the right idea :wink: , Cheesecake works for me. I'm game for a Sunday night outing. Any other recommendations on where to eat? Thanks for reviving this idea Vu.

87turbolook911
10-12-2004, 01:17 PM
How about Sunday Nov. 7th?

I like Cheesecake Factory, but it is always incredibly busy....I'll see if they accept reservations for a large group on a Sunday.

Also if every one would chip in $5 towards awards, I'll put a number of them together and we can vote before the dinner.

Sample:
-Smack of the Year
-AAA Award (car that has gone through the most repairs)
-Dorki of the Year (Best representative dorki)
-Track junkie of the year
-Spouse of the year

-Other ideas??? Five awards would be good.

Jazzbass
10-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Oh no, I hope I didn't hear Chris trying to give a suggestion on where to eat :shock:
Yes, the whole Glory Days fiasco was my fault. :oops:

87turbolook911
10-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Here's the deal with Cheescake factory....

They only accept reservations for 10:00 am - 10:30 am on Sundays....so if we're going there, then it would have to be a brunch thing. Which is still ok with me.

Maybe before the brunch, we could do a mini fun run? And for those spouses/family who don't go on the fun run they could just meet us at Cheesecake. They could even sneak in a little shopping before brunch....

VaSteve
10-12-2004, 01:41 PM
They could even sneak in a little shopping before brunch....

Don't say that. :lol:

targa911man
10-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Vu--

Sounds like a great idea. My weekends are pretty tied up for the next month or so, might be able to make a Sunday night.

But--

Being that my wife has been very understanding about the p-car (actually cars in general) fascination, I thought it might also be a good opportunity for the wife to meet the people I hang out with.

Are you sure you want the worlds of Married-Vu and Porsche-Vu to collide?

87turbolook911
10-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Are you sure you want the worlds of Married-Vu and Porsche-Vu to collide?

ROFL :)

I was hoping if they come together, I could have more p-car time....kinda want to show off to her the great people I hang with.

jpinkert
10-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Another food option could be Maggiano's in Tysons. The mall has tons of parking and Maggiano's can usually handle big parties. I think they take reservations too. Another plus (for a plan B) is a Cheesecake Factory in the same mall.

87turbolook911
10-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Maggiano's in Tysons

I've coordinated several office functions and a wedding there...nice private rooms and you can preselect meals....

Vicegrip
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Maggianos is great. Do the wives want to sit and listen to a bunch of Porsche nuts babble on and on?

I am in but I will have to see what Teresa has to say.

Jim Richards
10-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Maggianos is great. Do the wives want to sit and listen to a bunch of Porsche nuts babble on and on?
Would this be better for families if it was held on a weekend day at a park with picnic benches and grilles?

87turbolook911
10-12-2004, 03:51 PM

Other than the awards, the night would be more about thanking them and for them to meet new people. I was thinking part of the $5 I could get roses to hand out to the ladies and balloons for the kids.

VaSteve
10-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Would this be better for families if it was held on a weekend day at a park with picnic benches and grilles?

I would imagine it would be enhanced for the ladies if we are out of sight of our precious machines. :)

Mackliet
10-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Being relatively new to the group, I'm not sure how many are into autocross, but Sunday Nov. 7th is Potomac Region's third and final autocross of the season. Just an FYI.

Parenn911
10-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I agree with Jim and I have the perfect location, however I think it's too cold nowadays to hold something outside. Having a meet at a park could be more entertaining for the kids because they would have room to run around. Maybe in the spring/summer we can have Dorki family BBQ day :) .

Vicegrip
10-12-2004, 07:36 PM

Other than the awards, the night would be more about thanking them and for them to meet new people. I was thinking part of the $5 I could get roses to hand out to the ladies and balloons for the kids.

I kinda missed that part. Good idea!

Eli
10-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Another food option could be Maggiano's in Tysons. The mall has tons of parking and Maggiano's can usually handle big parties. I think they take reservations too. Another plus (for a plan B) is a Cheesecake Factory in the same mall.

I second Maggiano's. If we can come to a concensus on the menu and the ammount of people, they would be willing to give us a private room free... :P

Just went through this for my daughter's birthday a couple of months ago. From what I recall they have a family style dining menu where for about $20 a person it's all you can eat...including salads, appetizer, main course, coffee and desert. Really not a bad deal...
If we're bringing kids a private dining room is a big plus...

Jazzbass
10-13-2004, 01:01 AM
I second Maggiano's. If we can come to a concensus on the menu and the ammount of people, they would be willing to give us a private room free... :P

Just went through this for my daughter's birthday a couple of months ago. From what I recall they have a family style dining menu where for about $20 a person it's all you can eat...including salads, appetizer, main course, coffee and desert. Really not a bad deal...
If we're bringing kids a private dining room is a big plus...

This sounds like a great idea to me. Esp the part where we eat Italian food. I like the part about the family style menu - then there are no menu/seperate check/who pays for what issues.

Parenn911
10-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Being relatively new to the group, I'm not sure how many are into autocross, but Sunday Nov. 7th is Potomac Region's third and final autocross of the season.
Hey Bruce, thanks for the heads up. I was planning on attending the autocross, but I don't think I will make it this year. I am probably going to start my winter projects a little earlier instead :P .

Gunther
10-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Sounds like a fun time. I hope to make it. :lol:

Rick Lee
10-14-2004, 09:29 PM
How about an outing to a....ahem....gentlemen's club?

I wonder what awards I'd qualify for?

Nomex suit is on!

Chronos
10-15-2004, 04:53 PM

Nomex suit is on!

:lol: I don't think my wife would enjoy that outing... :shock:

I'm in for Maggiano's or Cheesesteak factory. Hell, I'm in no matter what.

cmartin
10-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Maggiano's or Cheesesteak factory

Doesnt GoodGuys sound like more fun though? :twisted:

Chronos
10-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Hell, I'm in no matter what. :D

Maurice P
10-17-2004, 11:17 PM

Nomex suit is on!

Toooo funny....

OldTee
10-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Make sure the Deadskins are not playing. How many folks are we expecting. My guess would be no more than 30. How about a PizzaHut?Don't most serve beer? There is one near the Montgomery County Airpark in Gaithersburg.

jpinkert
10-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I'm in -- and I'll drag my wife along.

FWIW, she saw a 993 the other day and thinks that she'd like to drive one daily instead of her Lexus IS300 or the LX470 that she was going to take off my hands.

So the question is, do I support her foray into the Porsche world and get stuck driving the LX470? Or do I pass the LX470 to her (as previously planned) and get another fun car for myself? Its kind of a double edged sword...

BlackTalon
10-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Uhm, sell the LX470, buy her a 993 and buy yourself something fun???

jpinkert
10-18-2004, 08:01 PM
I bought the LX470 (used) because 1) she liked it and wanted to drive it and 2) it makes a nice tow rig and can haul my wife + two dogs + gear for long weekend trips. So we'll pretty much always have a truck one way or another.

racer
10-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I bought the LX470 (used) because 1) she liked it and wanted to drive it and 2) it makes a nice tow rig and can haul my wife + two dogs + gear for long weekend trips. So we'll pretty much always have a truck one way or another.

How about let the wife drive the lexus and get your mistress* a 993? Then you're covered all around!

*While I have no idea if a mistress is in the mix, it sure sounds like a nice plan :wink:

little b
11-09-2004, 07:21 AM
bump.
Magianos? on a sunday evening...

87turbolook911
11-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Ok....Let's set a date:

How about the evening of Dec. 5th say at 6:00 pm at Maggiano's at Tysons.

I'll need an approx headcount to figure costs now and will get final headcount later.

Who's in....this will be for dorkis, wives/husbands/significant others, and kids.

Parenn911
11-10-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm in.

VaSteve
11-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Ok....Let's set a date:

How about the evening of Dec. 5th say at 6:00 pm at Maggiano's at Tysons.

I'll need an approx headcount to figure costs now and will get final headcount later.

Who's in....this will be for dorkis, wives/husbands/significant others, and kids.

Same day as the swap meet in Cockeysville?

87turbolook911
11-10-2004, 09:35 PM

That event is in the morning.....so for those who go to it, maybe they'll have things/deals to brag about at dinner :)

VaSteve
11-10-2004, 09:57 PM

That event is in the morning.....so for those who go to it, maybe they'll have things/deals to brag about at dinner :)

Ha ha :twisted:

Eternal
11-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Can't go, leaving for a cruise on that day. :(

Vicegrip
11-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Count Teresa and me in.

Jim Richards
11-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Lu and I are maybe's. Will know more as we get closer.

Mackpipes
11-12-2004, 07:08 AM
Jessica and I are in.

Eli
11-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Jessica and I are in as well :lol:

BlackTalon
11-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Janna and I are 'in'!

BillJ
11-12-2004, 03:32 PM
I "think" wifey-poo (JoEllen) and I are in! Just need to tell, er ask, her....