PDA

View Full Version : SP DE rumor denied

OldTee
10-02-2004, 07:28 PM
"It is a flat lie." stated Pari when it was widly reported that a ground hog made a faster lap. "It was only through turn 10" complained Pari after the event was caught on film, which was subsequently destroyed in an Indian uprising. :twisted:

Still, we all had a ball.

rs911t
10-02-2004, 07:32 PM
That's a film I gotta see!

Did the rain hold off? Tomorrow looks like a great day.

Lucky
10-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Light rain during the black group final session. Perfectly dry when I went out after that (in Blue). All in all, it was darn close to a perfect day.

Lucky
10-02-2004, 07:57 PM
"It is a flat lie." stated Pari when it was widly reported that a ground hog made a faster lap. "It was only through turn 10" complained Pari after the event was caught on film, which was subsequently destroyed in an Indian uprising. :twisted:

Ooooh... I hope Pari has a few beers before he reads that!

If I lost my "virginity" the way Pari did today... I'm not sure I'd want to do it again. No pleasure, all pain. :shock: Bad juju with his right seat passenger.

Things are sorted for tomorrow -- bad news is, he's stealing my instructor!!! :evil:

Doug E
10-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Pari Pari Pari ... what can we say other then we are all glad you survived your first DE day :D

It was great to see everyone today and hang out together. The Dorki paddock area was full of activity so if anybody wants to come out and spectate tomorrow we will be in the same location ... immediately on your right as you enter the paddock area.

Pictures will be posted after tomorrow's fun :)

cmartin
10-02-2004, 09:37 PM
I liked the location today, easy to find. If we keep rafting up there I see us all driving little scooters like Tony.

Parenn911
10-02-2004, 11:36 PM
"It is a flat lie." stated Pari when it was widly reported that a ground hog made a faster lap. "It was only through turn 10" complained Pari after the event was caught on film, which was subsequently destroyed in an Indian uprising.
Still, we all had a ball.
:lol: You had to go there didn't you, low blow man :lol:! Why was Arf was hiding from DorkiLand?
If I lost my "virginity" the way Pari did today... I'm not sure I'd want to do it again. No pleasure, all pain. Bad juju with his right seat passenger.
Things are sorted for tomorrow -- bad news is, he's stealing my instructor!!!
John, I never knew getting my cherry popped would be such a stressful and painful experience :( .
Sorry I had to steal Betty from you, hmmm, guess your not that lucky :) :wink: .
I just got back from dropping RL off in DC and I am beat. RL today was just not your day brother :x .
Good night, see you all tomorrow bright and early .

Jim Richards
10-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a bunch of great war stories need to be shared with the Dorki gang. Details! Details! :twisted:

Rick Lee
10-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Perfect day, John? My day was about as far from perfect as it gets. I will say, however, that I have new confidence in the Porsche collapsable spare tire. I limped home last night and then all the way to Euro Pros, where she shall remain for a very long time. :cry:

rs911t
10-03-2004, 12:06 PM
where she shall remain for a very long time
That sounds bad. :shock: What the heck happened ???

Rick Lee
10-03-2004, 02:26 PM
I don't know how to post photos here. But they're ugly. Looks much worse in person. Lost in around turn 3. I battled hard to recover and had just about won when I got onto the gravel. Once there it was just both feet in and wait for the inevitable. I hit the tire wall very hard, sliding backwards and crunched my left rear end.

So far, left rear tire is gone (excuse for RA-1's all around), rear bumper is finished (excuse for Ruf bumper), left rear qt. panel is bent badly around wheel well arch, driver's door rubs, decklid looks untouched, but won't latch, center reflector is now fertilizer at SP, left tail light is gone, left Fabspeed MaxFlow is done for. Spot welds on left side under decklid popped off too. It was a good hit. Lots of fun, but I wish it had been someone else's car:(.

87turbolook911
10-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Man....finally getting around to the board to catch up on posts after a great DE on Friday....looks like I missed out on a lot.

bettyc
10-03-2004, 07:34 PM
I am happy to report that the groundhog did not win today. In fact, not only were the groundhogs losing but a few boxsters fell by the wayside too. Good job Pari!

And John, you don't need me anymore. Congrats on the move to white. :P

Trak Ratt
10-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Richard, did you remember to bring home my Rhino ramp you barrowed to work on your car :?:

Lucky
10-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Richard, did you remember to bring home my Rhino ramp you barrowed to work on your car :?:

David, Daytony has your ramp & RLs left rear wheel.

And John, you don't need me anymore.

Betty, thanks for the schooling you gave me this weekend, teach! I had a blast, especially when you finally came out of your shell. :lol:

OldTee
10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Groundhog did indeed disappear. Pari had a smile on his face that set a record. It went from earlobe to earlobe, and I sware his chest looked like Governor Arnolds. No girley man there! Nothing like a good day on the track. :D

Arf did well and is looking forward to retruning. The Oct SP Sheardan (spl) day is for black, red and maybe white drives. Us greenie and blue pilots will have to watch. The track is not ready, according to the PCA gods.
:(

Lucky
10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Us greenie and blue pilots will have to watch. The track is not ready, according to the PCA gods.
:(

Now there's a good idea... if the weather is nice and my fatherly duties light that weekend I'm gonna try to swing by and watch them figure that track out. BlackTalon and I walk a portion of it today... it makes SP Main look like a tri-oval. They lost the straight-edge when they designed that track!

Jim Richards
10-03-2004, 09:51 PM
How long are we gonna have to wait for the reports to trickle in? Some of us have to live vicariously though y'all. Throw us a bone, OK? :P

rs911t
10-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah! You tellem Jim!

Parenn911
10-04-2004, 12:48 AM
I am happy to report that the groundhog did not win today. In fact, not only were the groundhogs losing but a few boxsters fell by the wayside too. Good job Pari!
Thank you Betty! Since I didn't know much going out there, I can attribute the improvement in my driving to having a great instructor :) .
No more groundhogs :twisted: .

}{arlequin
10-04-2004, 01:07 AM
I can vouch for that too. Pari was looking pretty smooth and any problems that he *might* have had, were due to the slop in the front wheels. Besides, he was always pointed in the right direction. What else do you want on your first day out?

In order not to go through this ordeal twice, I posted some pics on Pelican:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185534

Parenn911
10-04-2004, 01:15 AM
Dave, you should have seen me today, I was actually moving fast.
Great Photos :D ! Those shots are amazing :shock: , you are a pro with the camera.
I'm glad you were sidelined to take such cool shots 8) .

Jim Richards
10-04-2004, 07:14 AM
I was actually moving fast.
Anyone remember the scene in "What about Bob" where Bill Murray is tied to the mast and gleefully shouting "I'm sailing!"?

Trak Ratt
10-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Good analogy Jim :!: You should have seen him in person :!: :!: $$$ entry fee, the look on everyone’s face… priceless :!: :!: :!: (well except for RL)

cmartin
10-04-2004, 07:44 AM
What about Bob

Damn, I havent seen that one in years. What about Bob?; What ABOUT Bob?

rs911t
10-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Great photos, Dave!

bettyc
10-04-2004, 09:48 AM
I HAVE to remember not to drink hot beverages in the morning while reading the Dorki threads! It hurts!

It was great to see the Dorki in action working on cars and each other all weekend. What a group.

I had great fun this weekend with both John and Pari. Unfortunately now I have to go buy a bigger helmet because of all the compliments. :oops: The kind words are appreciated but I have to say that there are many, many great instructors in the Potomac Region as you will see at future events.

John, I would probably have pushed harder, sooner but it didn't look like you were happy with your brakes on Friday and faster isn't good if you can't stop. Saturday was a whole different ballgame. Now Gary will be looking for you at your next event for a right seat ride.... :twisted:

APKhaos
10-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Great weekend, with the obvious exception of seeing Richard's car damaged. Truly sucks!

Rick, I have your wheel. David, I have your ramp. They are fine here, and can deliver if its easier for you guys.

Rick Lee
10-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks Tony. I'll come get that stuff and deliver the ramp to Dave.

BlackTalon
10-04-2004, 03:20 PM
With the exception of RL's mishap and Pari's poor experience, it was a pretty good weekend. As a whole, the Dorki Race Team (uh, insurance disclaimer -- Dorki Driver Improvement Team) members put in solid performances all around. There were several promotions, and almost everyone got to solo all day on Sunday. And the weather Sunday was fantastic!

There was an extra bonus on Sunday when Pari finally discovered that DEs can actually be fun and exciting. If it wasn't for the Dorki support network -- giving both moral support and helping orchastrate an instructor switch -- he easily could have left on Saturday and never returned. What a difference 24 hours can make (thanks to Betty)!

And although it's probably not much consolation to RL, a fellow Greenie really smashed up badly in T9 on Sunday... RL's 'off' could have been much worse. When you can still drive your car home after a track accident, ther is something to be thankful for.

Rick Lee
10-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Who wrecked in T9, what kind of car and how bad was the damage? Still waiting to hear the estimate.

Lucky
10-04-2004, 03:38 PM
RL, it was a 3.2 Carrera, not sure of the year. Damage was heavy. I didn't bother with a very close look, but it's probably a parts car now.

It tagged the inside tire wall at T9 exit... naturally ass-end first (it's a 911 after all) very heavy damage at the left rear with lighter damage as you went forward. Rear suspension broken, tub clearly bent and twisted.

Anyone look at it up close to see if the engine/tranny were OK? If so, maybe we could all chip in a few $$$ and buy it for Kurt!!

Rick Lee
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah, my insur. rep. said it was a pretty expensive weekend for them. Lots of claims - mine, Club Race at VIR and a few others with bad wrecks. I hope they stay solvent.

OldTee
10-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Twas a James Coffman is a '84. Instructor was Kerpan Branko per the roster behind the Run Group Schedule. James lives in Bethesda and blames himself. Said he came into turn 9 early and exited early and then let up on it. I saw him go from my rear view mirror. For a 84 in that condition worth about 12-16K before the tire wall, it is probably worth 6K now. My opinion, and it is far from informed, is that it won't see another track day.

Jase007
10-04-2004, 04:29 PM
If so, maybe we could all chip in a few $$$ and buy it for Kurt!!

Hey ... how does he rate ... :lol:

Jason

BobNovas
10-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Hey ... how does he rate ...

Can you put a 3.2 in a tub? :shock:

Vicegrip
10-04-2004, 06:02 PM
007, it is all about the weight of the track tool box! Ether that or they are tired of me being in the way. You know I am so tired of getting passed only to almost catch up in the turns that I almost would suck up the old pride and take a freebie... God knows when I will be able to afford to by a real motor with my wife popping out kids like Pez candy. But Jason is in kinda the same boat too.

DonNewton
10-04-2004, 06:14 PM
". . .with my wife popping out kids like Pez candy. . ." Hey Kurt, I thought it took 2! :P Congrats on the new impending arrival!

Jase007
10-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Can you put a 3.2 in a tub?

Believe it or not ... yes. 8) Steve Pfeffer (Speed Touring BMW guy) has a beautiful 6 cylinder outlaw. Goes like stink! Though, with the mod, the car will never be able to return to stock very easily. I'll go to a hi-po 1750 before I attempt a 6.

You know I am so tired of getting passed only to almost catch up in the turns that I almost would suck up the old pride and take a freebie...

Too true... even in the DEs :( THAT is why you need to get that 912 in some HSR / SVRA events! What was that ... oh, the next one is this 10/15-10/17/04 at VIR for the SVRA season finale. You would have a ball running with like cars.

Jase

Parenn911
10-04-2004, 08:43 PM
There was an extra bonus on Sunday when Pari finally discovered that DEs can actually be fun and exciting. If it wasn't for the Dorki support network -- giving both moral support and helping orchastrate an instructor switch -- he easily could have left on Saturday and never returned. What a difference 24 hours can make (thanks to Betty)!
Very true Dave. I thought about it when you asked me this and chances are I probably wouldn't be out at the DE's if you guys and gals weren't there to lend the moral support. It was so bad on Saturday that I didn't even feel like driving my car :( . But you guys are awesome and saved my butt for the next day. Congrat's on advancing to white :D .

OldTee
10-04-2004, 08:52 PM
No message.

Parenn911
10-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Anyone remember the scene in "What about Bob" where Bill Murray is tied to the mast and gleefully shouting "I'm sailing!"?
Jim, is that fear I smell, it looks like MFIWD has some new competition in green now :twisted: . I have been doing my homework, so watch out buddy :P .

Jim Richards
10-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Jim, is that fear I smell, it looks like MFIWD has some new competition in green now :twisted: . I have been doing my homework, so watch out buddy :P .
OK grasshopper, talk smack all you want now... :twisted:

rs911t
10-05-2004, 09:10 AM
OK grasshopper, talk smack all you want now...
Oooooh, Jim! When's the inagural engine drop for the Winter Rebuild? :D

Jim Richards
10-05-2004, 09:25 AM
It's just weeks away. 8)

Rick Lee
10-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Hey guys, looks like my engine is also coming out. albeit for the body repair. I'm gonna go pick it up at the shop and bring it home in my truck for the LWF and RS clutch install in my NEW GARAGE. Details to come. This could be one of the best accidents I've ever had.

Jim Richards
10-05-2004, 09:36 AM
This could be one of the best accidents I've ever had.
RL, you kill me man! :lol: Even when your car is wrecked, you manage to continue adding mods. There's gotta be some kind of Dorki award for this. :lol: :D

BlackTalon
10-05-2004, 10:31 AM
RL - since your engine is coming out, it should be pretty easily to bolt on a supercharger...

Rick Lee
10-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Actually Dave, a good buddy of mine just bought a C2S that looks like my car's twin and he DID have a super charger put on before he took delivery. So I'll probably take it for a spin (not literally) tonight and see how that feels. But right now, I need to concentrate on paying this phat track insur. deductible.

Jim Richards
10-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Now that's a mod!

Vicegrip
10-05-2004, 11:37 AM
RL The nut that holds the wheel! Repeat as needed until clairity ocurrs.

BlackTalon
10-05-2004, 11:51 AM
RL The nut that holds the wheel! Repeat as needed until clairity ocurrs.

That reminds me of the fatherly advice Grandaddy Don :wink: gave me several years ago when I first started asking about mods for my Carrera. He recommended I use the mod money on DEs, etc. and learn how to squeeze as much performace out of the stock car as possible before going down the upgrade path. Now I have completed ~ 15 DE events and a couple HPDCs, and my car is still fully stock except for the brake pads. Oh, and the roll bar I installed a few months ago. Heck, the car still has the original, 17 year old suspension! But I know I need to cut another 4 to 5 seconds off my lap times at SP before I truely start to meet the limits of the car. I know this from timing Ivan Arzola and an ex-SCCA racer friend of mine as they did a few hot laps in the car.

Of course I may need to start modding just to keep from getting run over in White, but I don't think that's too much of a concern for you right now, as your 993 is faster than a lot of Green and Blue cars... Except all the GT3s! :shock:

Mackpipes
10-05-2004, 12:19 PM
With the amount of money I've spent on upgrades, I could have financed 3 or 4 years of DE's. :shock: I made the mistake of Modding my car before I tracked it. It'll be a LONG time before I'll be able to outdrive my car. Sticky tires and beefed up suspension cover up alot of mistakes. With the exception of safty equipment, (roll bar) my money is going tward seat time next season. :roll:

Jim Richards
10-05-2004, 12:25 PM
It'll be a LONG time before I'll be able to outdrive my car.
Naah, it'll be a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG time. :wink:

j/k :P

Rick Lee
10-05-2004, 12:26 PM
My money is going toward track rubber.....next time!

Parenn911
10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Actually Dave, a good buddy of mine just bought a C2S that looks like my car's twin and he DID have a super charger put on before he took delivery. So I'll probably take it for a spin (not literally) tonight and see how that feels.
:lol: :lol: Glad to see you are in good spirits RL.

Mackpipes
10-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Jim, if there's any body that would want me to spend money on brakes it would be you. :wink:

targa911man
10-05-2004, 02:58 PM
This could be one of the best accidents I've ever had.
RL, you kill me man! :lol: Even when your car is wrecked, you manage to continue adding mods. There's gotta be some kind of Dorki award for this. :lol: :D

No award. Remember he's already got a Porsche disease named after him--LeSchanderitis. See his posts in this thread for symptoms.

rs911t
10-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Even when your car is wrecked, you manage to continue adding mods.
Yeah! My engine has a funny noise. I think I'll open the heads and go to EFI. How's 600hp sound? :twisted:

Jazzbass
10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Actually Dave, a good buddy of mine just bought a C2S that looks like my car's twin and he DID have a super charger put on before he took delivery. So I'll probably take it for a spin (not literally) tonight and see how that feels.
:lol: :lol: Glad to see you are in good spirits RL.
No kidding, man. I admire your whole perspective on the accident, RL. I'd probably still be sitting in the corner, crying.

Vicegrip
10-06-2004, 05:58 AM
Track rubber will GET you into trouble not keep you out of trouble. The RA1s you mentioned are not as forgiving as as good street tires. Faster yes, but you have to be able to listen to them. Track tires wisper to you but street tires shout. Early in the learning cycle there is less ability to hit the line dead on every time. Track tires have a much smaller slip angle and when you exced the slip angle you are sliding. With grippy but unforgiving tires you will have a twofold problem. less ability to feel the tires talking to you and more energy to put you further off the track in a spin.

Put the wrench down and get into the seat. The car you have will go fast as hell if you can tell it to, as is. The more mods you do to it the harder it will be to learn. Ted has seen the light!
As an example the lightweight flywheel you desire would only make a difrence to someone that has much experence and then only a very small amount with regards to a lap time. It will on the other hand make a money shift far more likely to take out your motor.

No Bu!!Sh!t. The nut that holds the wheel. The nut that holds the wheel. The nut that holds the wheel...

Trak Ratt
10-06-2004, 07:19 AM
No Bu!!Sh!t. The nut that holds the wheel. The nut that holds the wheel. The nut that holds the wheel...

We should add Kurt’s response to the developing “Dorki Mix” that Dear Slayer Tony referenced in another post:

“Good advice you (RL) just won't take”

Jim Richards
10-06-2004, 07:23 AM
By the way, what's the torque spec on "the nut that holds the wheel"?

Don Wohlfarth
10-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Tighten until the eyes bulge out?

Jim Richards
10-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Tighten until the eyes bulge out?
That might impact one's ability to successfully negotiate SP Turn 3. :shock:

Robert Mitchell
10-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Track rubber will GET you into trouble not keep you out of trouble. The RA1s you mentioned are not as forgiving as as good street tires.

I concur with Kurt. I had 40 track days experience on street tires before I switched to RA1's. My lap time is only about 2 seconds less and some of that improvement is just better driving. I am much less able to keep the RA1's "on the edge" because of their less forgiving nature.

If you must improve the car (due to the previously mentioned disease) start with safety equipment: 1) roll bar or cage then 2) racing seats and 5 or 6 point harnesses. The seats and harnesses will give you a much better feel for what the car is doing. After that, do a high-quality suspension upgrade such as PSS9's. Finally, after much seat time, switch to RA1's or similar. When you get to that point you will probably decide that your stock motor is just fine.

BillJ
10-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey gang - just wanted to share the thought that from first-timers through long-timers, this group shows a real love for these cars and more importantly a strength of community spirit that really should be applauded.

Talking to Pari on Sunday and hearing the experience he had this past weekend from being berated by an out of region instructor on saturday to having the time of his life on sunday (with Betty there how could it be otherwise), really reminded me of how this particular region and the people involved (especially Dorki) are committed to one another. Then with Richard and his obvious enthusiasm for the sport, and his comment of how this accident could really be a blessing to work more on his car (like he ever needs a reason. :lol: Through all of this - people are there to listen, advise, and even lend a hand when necessary to get each other past the difficult times.

My point is that the sense of community is really the greatest draw to this club and sub-clubs like this one, spawned by a well engineered piece of machinery. I would bet my last dollar that people outside this club have no idea what it is really all about. :)

Parenn911
10-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Well said Bill :wink: . To me Porsche ownership would be pretty boring without you guys around to spice things up . Sorry if I was rambling a bit on Sunday, I was still coming down from the adrenaline rush and excitement of driving with Betty that left me almost speechless :D . Founder's region rocks :) !

APKhaos
10-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Nice words Bill. WE really want to see you out there with us again. Lightning can't strike three times, right?

Besides, you could sell the yellow chassis and buy a 951 with come change left over. C'mon.....next season??

Jim Richards
10-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah Bill!

BillJ
10-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Ha - lets hope not Tony! Im holding out for the second 3.2 (Kurt gets the first one i guess) and try to get that in that mid engine HOLE. WAY too much work has gone into that tub to give up now. :roll:

Pari - you werent rambling man - glad to see you ended up having a great weekend.

bettyc
10-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Well said Bill! It was great fun pitting next to the Dorkis this past weekend and watching the sense of family that pervaded the weekend. It's a great example of what we all love so much about this sport and this club in particular.

I do think however, next time a pink wing would look especially good in the "tail shots" Allison took! :twisted:

Vicegrip
10-06-2004, 08:49 PM

Crank on it till the other end puckers! :shock:

Good words Mr. Bill. Very true this band of shadetree wrenches and Potomac PCA as a whole are great bunch of folks. All walks of life with one common bond to start. Porsche. As time passes the cars become only a part of the friendships that form. Potomac and the Dorki are true communities of the best sort.