PDA

View Full Version : THE GLEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc A
07-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Sorry that this report has taken soooo long to get to the board, the dial up is at 14000 so slow doesn’t describe the speeds, plus at long distance exchange prices, this is all she wrote for now.

Friday was perfect weatherwise and track wise. The first runs of the day for Jim, David and I ended in what could be described as awe . . . . the track elevation changes, blind turns, and demand for power were unbelievable. NO video of this track can prepare you for the real thing. Bill was the seasoned veteran, having last years event under his belt, so in his usual fashion, was undaunted by this incredible track. Everyone left the track in one piece, at least in our dorki group. There was some real carnage and some stupid driving in the upper run groups, but all from participants that were out of Potomac’s membership. We all left Friday exhausted by the mental exercise that the track demanded, but satisfied that this would be an event to remember

Saturday, another perfect day for the weather. The 4 of us settled in a bit and started exploring the addition of some speed to the line that we were honing. Although the track, at first blush, doesn’t seem as technical as Summit Point, what I learned, because of the elevation changes coupled with the turns, was that placement of the car at certain points in the track is critical to running the track fast. The issue is momentum since none of us have 500hp, which BTW wouldn’t be enough for this track. One can navigate Watkins Glen without event placing the car in different places (not too far off line) and get around the track. There are plenty of straights or pseudo straights that the foot goes to the floor and stays there for a while. Put the car in the right spot and it’s a whole different animal. At critical times the track seems to rise up and grip your car just when you need a little more grip or . . . . more importantly a little more track. That is until you hit this nasty blind left hander that has an apex about 3/4 the way around the turn and lots of Styrofoam blocks staring you in the face as the car slides around this corner. The reward if done right, is an unbelievable feeling of speed and centripetal force. Unfortunately, this turn also claimed the front end of a beautiful light blue long nose track car.

Can’t post any pictures as this point, but will do so upon return . . . . . time for day 3, can only hope it as good as the last 2.

Doug E
07-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Glad to hear all is going well :)

Look forward to hearing the stories and pics upon the crew's return.

BTW, 14k connection speed ???? What did you do, start logging on at 3 am :lol:

jpinkert
07-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a great 4th of July weekend. I'm envious!

BW911
07-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Just back tonight. It was a great weekend. A terrific track and a fun group to be with. We caught a real break on the weather -- no rain, and not too hot. There were a few mechanical problems here and there, some worse than others. But hey, the new Dorki shirts got nice notice.

Kudos to Marc for getting a well deserved and rapid promotion to White. The blue group is pleased we won't have to give him the passing signal any more.

Bill

Jim Richards
07-04-2004, 11:27 PM
I can't wait to go back next year. :D

Jim Richards
07-05-2004, 09:52 PM
I added some pics to the Gallery. Thanks to Lu for her camera support.

I understand now when people say that after you're on the track a while, the ARMCO just blends into the surroundings and you don't think about it too much. That is, until you find yourself spinning through a corner. :shock:

Doug E
07-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the pics Lu :)

After seeing the pics from inside the garages I guess you all didn't have to worry about dehydrating from the sun :wink:

Karl S
07-06-2004, 09:53 AM
I just want to add that I've been going up to the Glen for this event for the last 4 years and this was the lightest turn out I've seen. I don't think there were more than 15-20 cars in either Green or Blue and on a track this long, that meant a lot of open track. My Blue student and I could go 3-4 laps in a row without passing or being passed. It was a great opportunity to get some open track and really get a nice rhythm going. For those that missed it, you should definitely plan to come next year.

Karl

rs911t
07-06-2004, 10:59 AM
That is, until you find yourself spinning through a corner.
Jim? Did you find yourself spinning thru a corner? Do you have video??

Jim Richards
07-06-2004, 11:57 AM
That is, until you find yourself spinning through a corner.
Jim? Did you find yourself spinning thru a corner? Do you have video??
Yes.
Yes. Coming to a theatre near you...

BlackTalon
07-06-2004, 01:47 PM
What a fantastic three days! I was worried it would take all weekend to learn the track, but I had a pretty good understanding of it by the end of my second run (thanks to great instruction from Bob Novas). By my second run on Saturday, I was working on applying the tips I received from Paul Weston during the Friday evening track walk, as well as a ride-along session with Bob Novas Saturday morning (hint -- don't drink two cups of coffee on an empty stomach, then ride along with a Black Group driver for a 25 minute session :shock: ).

Sunday can only be described as pure fun, except for a couple times when I had to keep from getting run over by Marc. I think the highlight for most of us in Blue was when Marc got promoted to White -- but then he squelched the celebration by announcing he was going to finish out the day in Blue -- just so he could terrorize us all one more time 8)

MBuck951
07-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Yes, the turnout was unexpectedly low. Not what I remembered from last year. No worries, just lots of open track for me in white . . . when my car was running :oops:

New camshaft seal was leaking badly after first session Friday. No one in the paddock had the part or tools to fix it. A call to my mech, Ivan @ IMA, had everything I needed coming FedEx for Saturday delivery. Picked the package up and thanks to two pro mechanics who'd come down from Toronto, Fong and Jasper, my car was back on track that afternoon. Couldn't thank those guys enough for helping me out.

I think I was one of the lucky ones who's car was running better after the event, than before it. I think at least three cars hit the armco, another lost a motor

BW911
07-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Wow Mike, I didn't realize you were having all that drama. I discovered after Friday's runs that I had a seriously cracked front rotor. Those drilled rotors again. Fortunately for me, Marc sourced a replacement pair from Dr. Timmons in the garage Saturday morning and put them on for me so fast I didn't miss a run. So my car too left the Glen running even better as well.

I was surprised at the light turnout as well. Anybody got any ideas why? It made for nice runs though.

Bill

cmartin
07-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the posts guys, glad everyone made it home in one piece. It's hard to express how hard it was to cancell this trip, driving at the Glen is one of the things I have always wanted to do. If I have to rent a car I will be there next year.

I think it would be a good idea to post a little write up in DV about the event. Stress how it's not really that long a drive, there are nice places to stay and it's S.O. friendly. With that said, I'm on the lookout for a 2500 Dodge/Chevy truck to make sure I get up and back next year.

Jim Richards
07-07-2004, 07:27 AM
The drive up and back was easy, although for me the return trip was a bit bumpier. Both left tires are toast after my pirouette (sp?). By the way, did anyone see the scores the cornerworkers gave me for my performance? 9.8 9.9 9.7 9.8 :roll:

Lu had a real nice time there, as well. Hiking in the park with Linda Welch, Corning glass museum, boat ride on Senaca Lake, etc.

We'll be back next year.

And a big congrats to Marc for his well deserved promo to White! How soon can I expect you to be my instructor? :twisted:

Rick Lee
07-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Wow. Sounds like a lot of fun. I went to Vegas and am now so poor I can't afford to pay attention. Also had a Rattlesnake encounter in Zion Nat. Park. No bites though. I think I saw two Porsches the whole weekend. I have withdrawal.

Marc A
07-07-2004, 03:45 PM
How soon can I expect you to be my instructor? :twisted:

Now there's a scary thought . . . . :shock:

Jim Richards
07-07-2004, 03:53 PM
How soon can I expect you to be my instructor? :twisted:

Now there's a scary thought . . . . :shock:
Just think "turn 5." Must've been a guardian angel nearby. :lol:

Jazzbass
07-07-2004, 05:30 PM
You guys suck. :twisted:

Congrats on the promotion, Marc. Sounds like a great time - I plan on joining you next year if I can refain from being an idiot and taking my car apart.

Cliff Claven
07-08-2004, 08:28 AM
This was my first DE event. Are all tracks so much fun? I'm wondering how best to find out about other non-Potomac DE events, since I don't want to wait two months to go again. (Seriously considered leaving for Mont-Tremblant yesterday since there were still openings for today and tomorrow, but too many prior commitments....)

rs911t
07-08-2004, 09:05 AM
I having the same feelings. Anyone want to caravan to Mosport on 7-22 and run with Northern New Jersey Region?

Karl S
07-08-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm wondering how best to find out about other non-Potomac DE events, since I don't want to wait two months to go again.

Here are a couple of links to comprehensive lists of DEs at various tracks in the eastern US. A bunch of us are headed down to the Viper Days event at VIR (Full course) next weekend.

http://www.trackschedule.com/

http://vista.pca.org/jsr/jsrpca/dales.htm

Welcome to the club. My name is Karl and I'm a track junkie :lol:

Karl

Vicegrip
07-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Junkie? I think you have advanced to dealer level...

BW911
07-08-2004, 10:38 AM
MJ, are you Matthew? Welcome to the group. Glad you had fun. I think there is a website that has sort of a track calendar for similar DE events. Maybe Marc remembers what it is. Some of us have also gone to events with the Tar Heel Sports Car Club/Traingle Z Club in NC; they put on really good events.

Take a look at events at VIR. It's a long track like WGI, and while not the same, is a real blast too.

Bill

Chopper Dropper
07-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Mosport and Mt Tremblant are both fantastic, in fact Mt Tremblant is still my favourite with Mosport and the Glen folowwing closely. Be aware however that Canada is quite a haul and gas is pricey, even allowing for U.S. $.74 to one Canadian $. I personally would want at least 3 days driving before traveling that distance. I think Karl can safely be elevated to Pusher level or mayhap King Pin.
Dirk
Dirk

Cliff Claven
07-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Any links to sites listing track events are appreciated, along with suggestions on which tracks to drive. After this past weekend, I would do this every day if I could. (But I keep catching myself driving too close to curbs....)

-Matthew
Blue 81 SC Euro

VaSteve
07-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Any links to sites listing track events are appreciated, along with suggestions on which tracks to drive. After this past weekend, I would do this every day if I could. (But I keep catching myself driving too close to curbs....)

-Matthew
Blue 81 SC Euro

Mathew, were you at the HPDC in April? I remember a fellow there with a car matching your description. (I was the guy in the broken brown SC). Welcome aboard, it's a good group here. :)

smecklen
07-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Karl is right: this was a light turn out, which meant lots of clear track. Also, the traffic up and back was lighter than usual (no two mile lines to get through strip-mall ville...)
Sadly, after the first day of great driving, I felt a vibration in my front wheels and came in to investigate. Some wrench time later, discovered a seriously cracked hub, with one of the lobes already cracked off. :shock: Just glad I didn't find out the hard way, as that white stuff in front of the armco just looks soft.
Can't wait until next year!

Steve M.

Jase007
07-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Steve:

Welcome to the board. :D

discovered a seriously cracked hub

Is this normal on 944 / 951 /968s? Haven't heard of this one before except on strictly track-only cars.

Jason

Alan Herod
07-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Great seeing everyone at the Glen and even better most of you behaved.

Excellent board here, you have done a great job -- quite a bit more traffic then on the Potomac site. If you saw my car in your group this weekend more then usual, my son was driving. Now all sorts of things to consider with two people driving the same car. Next year when another son starts ddriving, we may need another car.

Jim Richards
07-09-2004, 12:37 PM
If you saw my car in your group this weekend more then usual, my son was driving. Now all sorts of things to consider with two people driving the same car. Next year when another son starts ddriving, we may need another car.
Great, more p-cars for you and your sons. What a great father. :D

Marc A
07-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Alan:

Great to have you aboard (no pun intended). I noticed that son #1 wasn't leaving anything on the track during the blue sessions, at least I think that was him . . . . .

Sounds like another track car will be required . . . . along with the duel car carrier, maximum trailer hauling vehicle . . . whaaa who . . . are you having fun yet :wink:

Seriously, thanks for running a flawless driving event on a serious track. We'll be back for more punishment next year.

Marc

Chopper Dropper
07-09-2004, 05:22 PM
That was Alan's son in blue. I was his instructor and started him in blue from his performance at the HPDC. This was his first ever track event and I think he blew by everyhing in blue including evals for white.Amazing how one can develop if one is prepared to listen and trust. :twisted:
Dirk

smecklen
07-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Steve:

discovered a seriously cracked hub

Is this normal on 944 / 951 /968s? Haven't heard of this one before except on strictly track-only cars.

Jason

Jason, sorry I was slow getting back to you, was out of town all week. Cracked hub would be very unusual on anything but a track car, unless you had a major pothole/collision damage. However, my mechanic tells me that although uncommon, it is not unheard of on a track car. Just another thing to check every now and then!