PDA

View Full Version : First Tech Session

Marc A
02-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Details.

When. March 6th 2004 from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Service demos will be running all day. Please arrive and sign in for inspections before 1:30 p.m.

Where. Curry’s Auto Service. 4003-A Westfax Dr. Chantilly VA. Ph # (703) 502-0400

Directions. From 495. Take RT 66 West. Take route 28 North. Take route 50 West. Go aprox 1/4 and turn left just before the Pepsi plant onto Westfax Rd. Curry’s is 1/8 mile on the right

For those of us heading to SP March 13, 14 this is time to get teched.

Charlie Stylianos
02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
I just passed tech for Feb 14-15 @ VIR by the hair of my chinny chin, chin.

The rear stub axle and bearing issue that I wish I had long forgotton has reared its ugly head again. I WILL need to get this fixed before 03/06.

Thanks for the update/reminder, Marc.

Vicegrip
02-13-2004, 12:04 AM
(The long version)

A big season needs a big start and we have just that in store. Matt Curry of Curry’s Automotive has opened a new shop to replace the original auto shop in Chantilly VA. The new shop incorporates all that Matt Curry and his team has learned over the years and has many state of the art features. My favorite is the 12 lifts. Yep, a dozen lifts. That just might cut down on the wait time for an inspection. Matt and his crew always put on a good party and provide plenty of food and drink for everyone. You do not need to be going to the Driver’s Education event to come to any of out tech events, which are always open to all.

Our cars have been hibernating or subjected to a cold, wet, winter and in either case some spring maintenance is needed to get ready for the track or street driving season. At this event we will be performing brake fluid replacement, brake pad replacement, CV service and wheel bearing adjustment demos all day. Four lifts will be reserved as work lifts with one just for brake flushing. If you bring new brake fluid we will supply the tools and show you how to flush your brakes. One quart is all that is needed for most cars and we recommend that you use at least ATE blue or gold. If the fluid has not been flushed in some time I recommend that you bring two quarts. Curry’s will also have pro mechanics on hand for help, parts and advice.

In addition to the Potomac PCA service demos there will be a pro demonstration of a clear bra paint protection system. This is a protective film that is factory-precut to the car and professionally applied. It can be installed on the areas that are likely to sustain rock chip damage. The 3M material is almost invisible, and unlike magnetic or cloth bras, it does not need to be removed when wet. Also it will not peel off when you are flying down the front straight. There will be two clear bra installation demos, the first at 10:00 a.m. and then again at 1:00 p.m.
Curry’s also offers professional automotive detailing. There will be a full 5-hour detail performed during the day. The products and methods will be discussed as the work is performed.

Good food, good friends, 12 lifts, ongoing service demos, pro detail and clear bra demos, what more could you want? Oh, I almost forgot, we will also be performing tech inspections for the season opening Drivers Education event at Summit Point. After the long winter, this is a good time to see some nice cars, catch up with old friends and meet some new ones.

There will be inspectors and shop mechanics to answer any questions you might have about your Porsche. With four dedicated work lifts there should be lift time available for work. Work lifts are first come first served and no appointments or registration for the work lifts or tech inspections are necessary. For more information contact Kurt Mickelwait (703) 534-8153 or tech@pcapotomac.org.

Details.
When. March 6th 2004 from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Service demos will be running all day. Please arrive and sign in for inspections before 1:30 p.m.

Where. Curry’s Auto Service. 4003-A Westfax Dr. Chantilly VA. Ph # (703) 502-0400

Directions. From 495. Take RT 66 West. Take route 28 North. Take route 50 West. Go aprox 1/4 and turn left just before the Pepsi plant onto Westfax Rd. Curry’s is 1/8 mile on the right.

87turbolook911
02-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Marc/Kurt,

I've been wanting to replace my oil return tubes for a while now but have been putting it off. Is a project of this nature appropriate for an event like this? As you know I don't mind getting my hands dirty.....but definitely need guidance.

Also, can I buy ATE brake fluid there?

Vicegrip
02-13-2004, 03:29 PM
I think you will be able to purchase the brake fluid at the shop. as far as the other work. I tend to stay away from work that would strand you if it does not go well...

You can come and bring all the needed parts and we can look at the nature of the work before disasembling anything.

87turbolook911
02-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Cool...I'll plan to be there early.

William Miller
02-13-2004, 03:46 PM
How about reading/setting CO%

I have an A/F meter in my car and I wanted to compaire it to what would be found on a sniffer. If it's not calibrated at least I'll know how much.

William Miller
02-13-2004, 03:51 PM
VU, I don't think your far from me. Where is Clarksberg it sounds close?
I don't know your car, but I'm willing to help you. I did 2 of mine after my rebuild because one of the o-rings cracked.

I had to remove one of the heat exchangers to get to the 2 on that side.
(Drivers side with backdated SSI's)

I wouldn't do it at the shop. Too many things could happen especially if you have to remove a heat exchanger.

87turbolook911
02-13-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm in the Columbia area....Rt 32 and 29.

Yikes....I didn't realize it would be that involved. I was hoping that being on a lift i'd be able to get to them easier. Guess we'll look and see...

They only slightly drip when it's cold outside. I don't have a leaking problem during spring summer and fall.....

Just thought if it wasn't too much trouble I'd fix it at the first opportunity. Thanks for your offer to help...I may just take you up on it....though I hate the thought of removing the stock heat exchangers.

William Miller
02-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Take a look. Depending on the year and which side. Your's might not require taking off the heat exchanger. If not, it only takes a few minutes after draining the oil.