PDA

View Full Version : DE Helmet Recommendation

Charlie Stylianos
01-13-2004, 12:03 PM
I have 2 motorcycle helmets both SNELL approved, one is SNELL90, the other SNELL95. Both are fine for other clubs and PCA regions, but apparently Potomac PCA does not allow MC helmets for DE events and I'd rather not rent a smelly helmet for Potomac DE functions.

I was looking through the OG online catalog and saw a huge $$ range for helmets. What do you guys recommend/use for DE's? I'd like to hear opinions regarding safety differences among the price ranges, open vs. full face, venting, etc. I know ultimately I'll need to try them on to find the one that best fits my face, but would like to at least minimize my search.

Thanks for any help.

-Charlie

cmartin
01-13-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm very happy with my G-Force helmet. Cheaper then the big names but has the certs and features. Full face seems to be the most popular, you hear stories of chin meeting steering wheel in that discussion sometimes.

Jase007
01-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Charlie:

You nailed it on the head (pun intended) ....get the helmet that fits you best and that you can afford that is not a motorcycle helmet. There is something about the design (crushability of different foams in the helmet - plastic shell material)for the way a MA helmut strikes pavement versus the way a SA helmut is designed for banging around inside of a car. I am sure some of our more learned colleagues will chime in on this.

I went with this Bell (http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemdetail.asp?ses=2565ix1q0u8g25151e&itemid=23&sh owbrake=1) with a left side air hose inlet for around $340. Personally, I like the fit, $ and knew that it was going to get banged up enough that it'll need replacement in several years. The big $ helmuts are usually created for closed and/or open cockpits and thus, have to incorporate aerodynamics.

Jase

targa911man
01-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Definitely go full-face. Yes it will be hotter, but you won't be driving the Le Mans 24 (at least not anytime soon), so it won't be on that long. I t-boned a car years ago on my MC and my face hit the roof, which bent into a v. I had just a week before bought a Bell Star full-face. Got a fat lip. Probably dead with a regular helmet.

BillJ
01-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Also, get the lightest helmet you can afford and a neck collar for support. After a long 3 day weekend, your neck can end up pretty sore from the extra weight. Make sure you purchase a Snell SA 2000 helmet and not an earlier year. They probably arent even available but be careful. This will be good through 2009. They re-certify every 5 years, and we allow helmets through two previous certification periods. OG will definitely steer you the right direction. I love my Bell Kevlar. The neck collar is hot on hot days, but its a good idea in case of a collision and in general takes some of the weight of the helmet off.

Bill

rs911t
01-13-2004, 03:37 PM
I like to wear sunglasses when driving, so I went with the BELL SR-PRO. Basically, it's an open face helmet with chin protection. It's less expensive and unique - I haven't seen anyone else wearing one!

jpnovak
01-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the tip Greg. I have to wear glasses to do anything - including driving.

87turbolook911
01-13-2004, 04:04 PM
FWIW

Last year at HPDC, I rented a helmet from OG at Summit Point for my wife. It was brand new. If I remember correctly the rental was about $25.

Trak Ratt
01-13-2004, 04:39 PM
OG racing has some of their SNELL 2000 on “sale”. Check it out. Buying a helmet w/o trying it on is like getting… well it’s not a good idea.
SNELL 95 are still acceptable , but this is the last year.
Don’t like full-face helmets! Don’t like them even more in September!

Don’t forget today is the 1st. day to sign up for March’s DE! I have it on good authority that no one has signed up in Green yet (4:36). Very few in others as well.

BlackTalon
01-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Don’t forget today is the 1st. day to sign up for March’s DE! I have it on good authority that no one has signed up in Green yet (4:36). Very few in others as well.

Thanks for the 'heads-up', Dave. The web site was listing this registration as not opening until January 14 (only the Instructor registration was supposed to be open today). Hopefully I registered early enough to get a spot... I thought I couldn't do it until 1:00 am on Wednesday. Now I won't have to set my alarm for 12:55 am!

And a couple helmet-related comments:

1. Go to OG Racing and try on a bunch until you find one that is comfortable!

2. If you wear contact lenses, you will need to either wear sunglasses or use a visor, as the contacts will dry out quickly

Charlie Stylianos
01-13-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies fellas.

I know the value of a full face MC helmet as I've seen pictures of some pretty grusome mishaps with riders using an open face. I guess same goes for a car helmet.....I'd like my teeth in my head and out of the horn pad.

I'm going to OG on Monday to try on a few. I'll keep SNELL2000 and the collar in mind. I like to wear sun glasses with the helmet as well. I'll bring the shades also.

Vicegrip
01-13-2004, 11:31 PM
The inexpensive collars can chafe you neck but the better made units don't.

They can get nasty after a while. Mine got so bad after a year or 3 that I wouldn't have wanted to put my foot in it much less my head. I found that you can clean them with Woollite and warm water and then use a fan to dry.

Trak Ratt
01-14-2004, 07:36 AM
If you wear contacts & don’t op for the face shield try a motor cycle shop for rap-around “almost goggles”. Linda got a set from HD in Fairfax a couple years ago & has gotten good use out of them.