PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy - Community Wide Band A/F meter

Charlie Stylianos
11-06-2003, 04:37 PM
The engine is almost fully broken in, so the next on the list is performance tuning.

I was toying with the idea of trying to tune with a narrow band O2 sensor & a/f meter, but after much research I found they are pretty much like an on/off switch, not giving an accurate indication of A/F conditions around lambda.

Innovate Motorsports just released a wide-band meter that can log up to 44 minutes of data from multiple inputs and can be downloaded to a PC for analysis ($350).

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/lm1.php

I just talked to the vendor and just won Car Craft magazine's product of the year and will be releasing an auxiliary input cable to capture RPM with inductive pickup within the next couple weeks ($99).

Any of you carb or CIS guys interested in a group buy? I'm looking to pick one up once the RPM pickup is released.

Justin Fischer
11-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Hey Charlie,

I have a Gunson Gas tester, not as techno geeky as what you're looking at, but your welcome to borrow it once Jim R. is done tuning his MFI.

-Justin

Charlie Stylianos
11-06-2003, 05:02 PM
Thanks Justin,

I'll probably take you up on the Gunson to set up the idle CO and see how that affects the A/F curve. I like the techno geeky toy as it will give A/F ratio's under load at WOT (or partial) so I can see what's happening throughout the RPM range.

Justin Fischer
11-06-2003, 05:09 PM
That would be nice, some guy on PP tried driving around with the Gunson meter in his passanger seat and the tube run out the window around to the exhaust. After 5 miles the tube melted, and the test pipe was shot out on the highway :lol: jackass

rs911t
11-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Charlie,

I have a Lambda Boy wide band AFR meter that connects to my DL-90
data logger thru an analog input. From this RPM to AFR graphs are easily
created. You're welcome to give it a go.

Greg

Charlie Stylianos
11-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks, Greg. I know you are using the DL90 for your new project, but would you be able to part with it for a week or so sometime in the next couple months?

rs911t
11-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Charlie, I'm sure we can work it out. I'll need it 3 or 4 weekends over the next couple months. The rest of the time it'll be on the shelf.

Vicegrip
11-10-2003, 02:02 PM
You get the RPM goodies and you can use my LM-1 ;)

William Miller
11-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Charlie, keep me updated on the group buy.
I would love to see the difference between the narrow band that I just installed and the wide band.

Mine seems to be functioning correctly, but my problem is the Fuel injection.

What type of meter display?

Can you log the data into a pda?

William Miller
11-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Charlie, I think I get it now. It's portable.
When you mentioned group buy I thought you were thinking of quantity discount.

I'll put up $100 (does that sound reasonable?)
I'll be able to accurately record my symptoms!
Justin can I get in line for the CO meter.
Charlie, If I get some accurate CO readings I can get a ballpark on how close my A/F meter is in various ranges.
I figure I can hook them both up and see how they fluctuate while adjusting the mixture screw.

Just a thought!

Charlie Stylianos
11-15-2003, 12:39 AM
William,

There are some guys on Rennlist putting together a bulk buy for this meter. If they can get 10+ folks together, the meters will cost $325 (minus the RPM pickup).

I e-mailed him to get specifics. I'll keep you posted.

William Miller
11-17-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm still intrested when you find out. My car is running good now, actually the best since I've had it. I put some of the thick silicone grease on the pop off valve 0-ring and it's working right and sealed up good.
Humidity this morning really makes things run good.
I sent e-mail to the company where I bought the A/F meter. No resonse yet. It's got their name on it, but I'm wondering if they just put their name on sombody else's kit.

I hit a brick wall with the guy that rebuilds the Fuel distributers and Warm up valves. He doesn't want to be bothered anymore with questions. He never actually answered any of them except that he could rebuild my 79 US FD to the 81-83ROW specifications. I'm sure he is trying to hold on to his secrets and doesn't want to lose business if people start doing it themselves. The more he clams up the simpler I think it must be!

How's your heat working?
My heater motor is starting to whine every once in a while. I think it's getting ready to crap out. You want to sell your old parts yet? Should I backdate? What did that end up costing you to backdate?
I would imagine the only advantage of the fan is better heat and defog when you are sitting at a traffic light?

Jase007
11-18-2003, 08:12 PM
Charlie:

I'd throw some $ at it if you wanted us to get one for the Dorki gang. Even though my '76 and '62 are pre O2, I could use it tuning my monster E30 BMW 325iX!!! :lol:

Jase

Vicegrip
11-18-2003, 09:31 PM
No worries folks. I own one and plan to get the RPM sensor when it becomes available. Ask nice, I share...

I tend not to run a sensor all the time as I use 114 oct mix lead at the track and have to run a tank or 2 of street gas to clear the system first. I have a O2 sensor port on my J pipe so I haven't needed to make a test pipe but I have an extra bung and plan to make one. Test and tune then trash it at the track.

I know how you can get the group price (no big deal it's all of $25 off a $350 purchase) for individual purchases if you want to get one. PM for info.

Charlie Stylianos
11-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Whew, Kurt.....

I was about to break open the piggy bank :wink:

But....

If there is enough interest for a community wide band A/F meter (so we wont have to bug Kurt for his own personal unit), and we can get enough $$ together so I don’t have to fork out the majority, let me know.

Total for the software, data logger, meter, O2 sensor and inductive RPM pickup is ~$450.

IF there is still enough interest, I'm thinking of placing an order early next week. If this thread becomes stale, then it's a no-go.

rs911t
11-18-2003, 10:33 PM
I also have the requisite gear when and if anyone is interested. Gotta get those bungs welded to the muffler, also. That'll make it a lot easier to use.

William Miller
11-19-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm still in for the $100.
I'm just trying to get the ball rolling. I'm sure any contribution would be helpful.
If anyone needs it I have a threaded bung that came with my narrow band O2 sensor. I didn't use it because the SSI's had one.
Even though my SC is an 83 it's a ROW with the k-basic CIS and no O2 sensor or lambda control.

Charlie Stylianos
11-25-2003, 01:16 PM
It looks like William, Jason and I are the only interested parties.

That leaves about $320 out of pocket. Too much $$ for this poor sap....

Unless someone else wants to pick up this tread, it's a no-go.

Vicegrip
11-25-2003, 08:45 PM
RPM pickup and clamp on sensor holder are on the way. With the clamp, if you don't have a cat you don't need a bung.

I have had the unit in hand for some time now have figured out some things.

1. Get your $ together it is worth the $.

2. It is not plug and play for all but AF and RPM. The rest of the extensive system capabilities require some setup and a PC for data read out. This thing is made for tuners and racers and I forsee many uses. It has many 0 to 5 volt inputs as well as RPM and AF so you can data log other things as well. Set up position sensors using pots, add thermocouples to measure and track air or fluids and the list goes on. I even figured out how to log steering wheel and suspension positions along with motor inputs while on track. You can even book mark each corner with a push button on the wheel. Download in the the PC and lay the motor graphs over each other and then overlay all the track/ chassis data graphs to see what the car/ driver are doing as well. The more I look at this thing the more I see you can do with it. It is far more than a AF meter and far less $ than race loggers.

If folks need to get AF readings and can drive on the street I can help out. Set up is five min for AF with or without RPM logging.

Charlie Stylianos
11-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Kurt,

You are correct. Its essentially a data logger with 5 (I think) 0-5v inputs. Much more than just an a/f meter.

The data gathering/sorting software that comes with the unit makes it a great tool for any type of data gathering and fine tuning.

The possibilities are endless......