PDA

View Full Version : Moving Oil Tank

cmartin
08-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Anyone have experience moving a home heating oil tank? The tank is above ground and has maybe 125g of oil, I think total capacity is 275g. My initial idea is to pump the fuel into a barrel, move tank, replace or splice the fuel line, fill it up and be done with it.

A simple transfer pump is pretty cheap and I think I can come up with enough containers for temp storage.

Am I missing something?

Fritz
08-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I've got two spare 275g tanks sitting around. One is in my basement with 30 gallons and the other is empty outside. You can steal one of them as long you promise not to return it. If you plan on reusing the tank, it might be a good idea to look into cleaning it out somehow. Old fuel oil gets scuzzy and the sediment at the bottom of the tank can build up to a thick layer and then clog filters when agitated like in the state of a move. I'd also recommend not keeping the last 5 or 10% of the oil you have as you transfer as that is the sludgiest and or water infused portion.

-Fritz

Anyone have experience moving a home heating oil tank? The tank is above ground and has maybe 125g of oil, I think total capacity is 275g. My initial idea is to pump the fuel into a barrel, move tank, replace or splice the fuel line, fill it up and be done with it.

A simple transfer pump is pretty cheap and I think I can come up with enough containers for temp storage.

Am I missing something?

cmartin
08-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Thank you, very kind of you. This is one item in a growing list of things that need to be done for a planned home addition. Do you have a time table on getting rid of a tank?

Seems like one might make a decent pig roaster too.

Drscope
08-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Harbor Freight sells a barrel pump for $30.
http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html
I have one here that we have been using off and on for probably 15 years or more. Provided they haven't changed it since I purchased mine, it's a pretty good deal. It's maintenance has been being stored (forgotten about and neglected) outside in the dirt and leaves for 2 to 3 years between uses. But surprisingly it has worked well every time we have had to use it. The wooden handle rotted away and now it's a little hard on the hands without that roller, but it still does well.
I'm in Catonsville and you are welcome to come borrow it if you need it. It's actually been screwed into my heating oil tank since last winter when a buddy came by to get some oil for his garage heater.