PDA

View Full Version : Possible Stereo and Alarm Day...

87turbolook911
03-03-2003, 03:55 PM
As some of you know, my family owns DSI Electronics, a car stereo and alarm shop in Laurel, MD. We have clients such as the Washington Wizards, Washington Redskins, and Capitol Cadillac and Hummer. We also are heavily into mobile entertainment including, mobile DVD with dolby digital 5.1

If there is interest I could arrange to be open on a Sunday for a NoVa/DC/MD gathering. We could arrange for an install demonstration or simply suggest systems for your vehicles. Or whatever the group may be interested in.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

BW911
03-03-2003, 04:38 PM
Sounds great, Vu. I'd be interested. I only wish I'd known about you and your business before I had an Eclipse amp and cd head installed last fall.

- Bill

DavidPorter
03-04-2003, 11:43 AM
We bought a van a few years ago from Carmax in Laurel. The stereo didn't work, and they sent us to DSI. Great service. Welcome.

My project car has a late-model Sony that doesn't work, speakers hanging off the door panels. Does that qualify me for the Stereo Day? Honestly, I haven't even checked the fuse. Some other minor difficulties (i.e. engine). I can't wait until the tunes are what I worry about.

87turbolook911
03-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Glad to hear we were able to take care of your needs. Depending on what the group wants to see or learn, I can arrange demonstrations of various installs.

I've been looking to redo my center console subwoofer. To do so, it'll require wood work, fiberglass work, and vinyl work. This kinda project enables on lookers to see the different techniques.

Jim Richards
03-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Sounds interesting, Vu. Keep us posted. :)

rs911t
03-04-2003, 01:06 PM
A stereo is kinda pointless in my car. It sounds interesting nonetheless! Thanks.

87turbolook911
03-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Greg.....I love the sound of a nice motor, but no radio at all???? Man...I've gotta have tunes while I'm cruising. Something about having "fast" music while inn the "fast" lane.

We've installed cd players on motorcycles and classic cars. We have kits that keeps you from having to alter your car. Let me know if you're interested. I'm sure we can come up with something.

DavidPorter
03-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Vu;

I have another project more up your alley. I have a K75RT for which I bought a factory radio cheap on ebay. I need an appropriate antenna, maybe an antenna amp, probably some advice. Email porterdm@comcast.net. Thanks.

Porsche content: one Weber down, one to go.

Geoff
03-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Umm,

Can I come to stereo day if I don't have a porsche?

-Geoff

rs911t
03-04-2003, 05:06 PM
!but no radio at all????

I have a stereo and it works fine, though it gets quite a bit of competition cruising with the windows down on a warm day. I even have a cassette player! Say, I wonder if I could find an 8-track for it. 8)

Jim Richards
03-04-2003, 05:07 PM
though it gets quite a bit of competition cruising with the windows down on a warm day.
So when was the last time we had a warm day? :?

rs911t
03-04-2003, 05:23 PM
So when was the last time we had a warm day
Good point. A lot less competition when sitting in the garage listening to the radio....

Rich L
03-04-2003, 06:30 PM
I've been looking to redo my center console subwoofer...

Vu,

That's cool! Do you have pics of your current installation? I've always thought the empty space in the center console would be a good place to hide a sub if you could fabricate and seal the enclosure.

Charlie Stylianos
03-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Umm,

Can I come to stereo day if I don't have a porsche?

-Geoff

Geoff,

I'd like to take the Porsche to Stereo Day but don't think it will be ready by then.

Anne has been hinting around about upgrading the speakers in her Civic. We can ride down together, any tips you pick up I can apply to her car as well:) Also, less of a chance to start a riot if you show up alone w/o a Porsche......I wouldnt go alone either. Strength in numbers..... :wink:

KeithLambert7
03-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Count me in, I'm interested in any radio day.

My CD player in the '89 sounds awful. Even with the car OFF! :shock:

I replaced the dried out, and torn original speakers, but it still sounds awful. I'd like to find something that retains the stock look on the inside of the car, but improves the sound.

Keith

87turbolook911
03-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Showing up in a Porsche is not neccessary.....It's all in good fun.

Charlie- We've done so many Civics I bet we could do speaker, radio, and alarm installs blind folded....

Rich- Here's a pic of my center console. Click on link and fifthpost down:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98820&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

[/url]

Doug E
03-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Sure seems like you've got some takers on this one VU. Well done!

While I'm not in the market for any type of upgrade I might still swing by if the date fits just to hang with the NoVa crowd.

BTW, the only time my radio/tape deck in the 911 gets used is when my son is with me and we listen to his Thomas The Tank Engine tapes. Otherwise when it's just me alone on the road all I want to hear is the sweet sound of that engine!

Jim Richards
03-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Thomas The Tank Engine? Hmmmm... :?

APKhaos
03-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Great idea, Vu - thanks for the offer. I'm in if it is not a track weekend.

Is there a decent remote locking product available? My '85 has stock electric door locks - should be the same as your car. Would really like to find a remote lock/unlock that uses the stock actuators - dont want to add weight and potential unreliability with a second set of actuators. Possible??

87turbolook911
03-05-2003, 11:30 AM
We have Viper/DEI keyless entry systems that can be wired (with relays of course) to the exisiting actuators. I would guess that you'd add less than two lbs worth of equipment.

New actuators are actually lighter, stronger and more reliable than the factory ones. I've rarely seen the aftermarket ones fail, however I've seen plenty dead OEM ones.

Charlie Stylianos
03-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Vu,

I, like Tony, am more interested in an alarm setup. My 82 has the maunal locks w/ factory alarm (dead). I guess the aftermarket actuators are what I would need, as well as an engine kill, sensors, etc.

87turbolook911
03-05-2003, 03:00 PM
If most are interested, I could arrange for an alarm installation demonstration. If you pay for the parts, I'll see what I can do about labor costs.

BW911
03-05-2003, 03:04 PM
My Carrera has the Viper/Python/DEI alarm with keyless entry like Vu's shop installs. I think the install on mine used the original actuators, but I could be wrong. You can check mine out and see if you like it.

I don't place a lot of faith in the alarm. But keyless entry is cool.

There are more expensive ways to go that including alarms that page you rather when your car is messed with. But I figure if somebody wants it bad enough, they'll get the car no matter what you put in there.

- Bill

87turbolook911
03-05-2003, 03:26 PM
I agree with Bill. Alarms are mainly for the convenience features (ie keyless entry, trunk release, etc.)

They are effective in keeping "inexperienced" vandals from smashing your windows to steal contents in your vehicle. Or alert you in the event someone hit your car while you were away.

Otherwise if a professional really wants your car they will take it. Even if you're in it :shock:

KeithLambert7
03-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Vu,

Any thoughts on a date for the demonstration, or did I miss it somewhere in the thread? :)

Keith

87turbolook911
03-06-2003, 08:56 AM
How about Sunday April 6th? If most of you are early risers, we can start at 8:30 am and go until 1:00. Or until we finish the project demonstrations. This way we won't be tied up all day.

So far, keyless entry and rear speakers in a custom baffle are on the list for demonstrations. If you are willing to pay for the parts, the install for your car will be compliments of DSI.

We'll probably only have time to work on two cars, so first two to sign up their cars, will be the projects of the day.

Might be a good idea to have someone take photos of the install for future reference.

Your thoughts?

Geoff
03-06-2003, 02:32 PM
I think photo's would be great. Charlie has a great camera, but it isn't digital... Anyone have a digital camera that is going?

-G

87turbolook911
03-06-2003, 02:44 PM
We have a Sony Digital Camera at the shop. Just need a volunteer to operate it and then post the pictures.

Geoff
03-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I nominate Charlie!

Charlie Stylianos
03-06-2003, 03:21 PM
No problem. I'll take the photos and upload them into the gallery. Vu, will you be able to put the photos to CD? If not, I'll create a blank album in the gallery and you can upload at your leisure.

Geoff
03-06-2003, 03:32 PM
If Vu will bring all the cables etc and the CD for drivers I will bring a laptop to grab the gallery... After all Nerds travel light...

-G

87turbolook911
03-06-2003, 03:37 PM
We can transfer the files from memory stick to CDROM at the end of the day. So Charlie, is your ride going to be one of the projects? Cost on parts for Keyless entry is about $100 (retails about $120) and parts for a full alarm will probably run about $150 (retails $200). Both include two actuators for your doors. Again, labor will be compliments of DSI.

Charlie Stylianos
03-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Vu,

I'd love to take you up on your offer, but I have a very strong feeling it won't be ready by then. I'll probably ride along w/ Geoff. I'm actually shipping the heads and the p/c's out to CA. this weekend. My goal is to have the car ready by Hershey, April 26, and that may be pushing it.

BTW: Thats pretty darn cheap for keyless entry/alrm setup....thought it would be more expensive. I'll trade you Porsche labor for alarm labor later;)

-Charlie

87turbolook911
03-06-2003, 04:39 PM
That means I still need two project cars.....or if no project cars, I can show everyone the things I've done to my car and do recommendations for everyone elses.

Just wanted to make it a worthwhile trip for everyone.

KeithLambert7
03-06-2003, 06:59 PM
We can transfer the files from memory stick to CDROM at the end of the day. So Charlie, is your ride going to be one of the projects? Cost on parts for Keyless entry is about $100 (retails about $120) and parts for a full alarm will probably run about $150 (retails $200). Both include two actuators for your doors. Again, labor will be compliments of DSI.

Vu,

Since Charlie bowed out, I'd love to offer my car as one of the two. My '89 3.2 has working central locking, but would love to have keyless entry.

Keyless entry for $100. sounds like a deal!

So long as it's on April 6th. :D

Keith

BW911
03-06-2003, 09:51 PM
That's a good deal. Too bad we can't put a second alarm in mine. :wink:

Keith, I'd recommend you go ahead and put the alarm in. As long as your spending the money on keyless entry, why not go all the way? Keyless entry comes with the Viper that I suspect Vu has in mind. It's better than the factory alarm. Of course my factory alarm was no longer working anyway.

I'll be there if I can make it. Maybe Vu can show me how to program the settings on mine.

- Bill

87turbolook911
03-06-2003, 10:18 PM
We've got Keith's car as project #1. Keith, keep in mind if you install the full alarm, you'll also get starter kill, shock sensor, dome light on, and a few other nice features. Since you're not paying for labor, I'd spend the extra $$ on the parts.

But we'll do whatever you decide.

So that leaves us with the hunt for project #2- an audio related project.

KeithLambert7
03-07-2003, 12:03 PM
We've got Keith's car as project #1. Keith, keep in mind if you install the full alarm, you'll also get starter kill, shock sensor, dome light on, and a few other nice features. Since you're not paying for labor, I'd spend the extra $$ on the parts.

But we'll do whatever you decide.

Vu,

Ok, I'll bite. Let's go with the alarm/keyless. Sounds good to me, 8:30am on Sunday April 6th? :D :D

Keith

Charlie Stylianos
03-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Keith and Vu,

The ultimate 911 theft deterrent. Maybe you guys can put your heads together and do something like this.....

The SD Model 8U-UP fine should do fine. Interior stays nice and clean :wink:

http://stickdeath.com/2002auto.html

It will take a long time to load, but worth every second

"Because your car is worth more than their lives"

914guy
03-07-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm getting in on this thread a little late.. Hopefully the 914 will be done on the 1st :D :D and I'll be there to check things out, and start to look at speakers / cd players for the 914.

~Eric

RoninLB
03-09-2003, 11:15 AM
Hey Vu.. I have a Clifford Black Jax.. and everything else is Viper.. does Viper make a system that kills the car after the crook is driving away like the Black Jax?............. Ron

KeithLambert7
03-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Vu,

So have we found an audio volunteer yet? Or am I the only 'victim'? :shock:

Keith

87turbolook911
03-10-2003, 08:56 PM
RoninLB,

Viper includes it in their alarm systems it's called VRS (Vehicle Recovery System). Basically it shuts the engine down. We go over this feature when we deliver the vehicles to customers.

Keith,

Someone just emailed me wishing to replace a head unit. I told them they could be project #2. But since that's a pretty quick swap, we can take on another small audio project. (i.e. door speakers)

BlackTalon
03-11-2003, 12:00 AM
That was me, Project #2. I'm ready to replace the stock head unit with one that has a CD player.

fletch0378
03-11-2003, 06:34 PM
I'd be interested in the seeing the alarm install, I bought my 1987 carrera with an alarm with two destroyed remotes... And of course it's not a US brand so there is no way to pull FCC frequency codes to get new ones programmed. :x

As far as system installs I can show you a subwoofer system that installs under the hood of the car and vents in through the passenger side floor heat ducts. Takes about 30 minutes to install.

Any ideas of when this will take place?

~Fletch~

87turbolook911
03-11-2003, 07:23 PM
We're on for April 6th. I'd love to see your sub set up and hear how it sounds.

Hope to see you then!

87turbolook911
03-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Looks like we've got two good main projects for the 6th:

Project #1
Keith's alarm & keyless entry install

Project #2
Dave's headunit, front & rear speakers, and possibly an amp install.

A few others will be bringing smaller projects... no problem.

I look forward to seeing all of you there!!

The store address is:
DSI Electronics
9855 Washington Blvd N, Suite E
Laurel, MD 20723
301-490-4197

KeithLambert7
03-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Vu,

Can't wait.

While I have the car there, I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice on how I might at a later date, get access to the rear seat belts recoilers in the back of my 911 without tearing my interior up. I'm talking about the ones for the jump seats.

Not looking for you to do it of course, just wondering if you could give me advice on how I can access them - I'm half idiot.

I assume I can get access to them through the rear speakers? Mine are chaffed (almost all the way through) from rubbing against the razor sharp plastic guides next to the rear speakers. I bought replacement units some time ago, but damned if I can figure out how to get in there and replace them. Thought you might have an idea having worked on speakers and such in that area before...

I looked in my Bentley manual but found nothing. :roll:

Keith

87turbolook911
03-19-2003, 08:17 AM
All,

Everything looks good for the 6th. We'll start promptly at 8:00 am to ensure that we can finish by around noon. If you plan to attend, Please reply to this thread so I can get an approximate count of attendees.

Keith,

We have everything you need for the alarm and keyless entry.

Dave,

If possible I'd like to talk in advance about what kind of budget your looking at for the equipment. This way we can make sure we have everything in stock.

See you all then!

Jim Richards
03-19-2003, 08:41 AM
I think I'll be able to make it.

914guy
03-19-2003, 10:28 AM
I'll be there. I want to start looking at options for a good sound system in the 914!

~Eric

BW911
03-19-2003, 12:33 PM
I hope to be there.

Vu, Do you know how to program or fiddle with my Python alarm so that it will quit automatically locking the doors when I start the car? It became pretty maddening at the track.

Bill

914guy
03-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Bill~
Years ago when I had my Jetta, there were little jumpers on the side of the alarm brain that let you change settings like that. If you locate the alarm brain (should be on the drivers side under the dash) I am willing to bet it would be easy to change.

~Eric

Mackpipes
03-20-2003, 02:35 PM
Vu,
I'll be there. I wan't to schedule an alarm and actuator install at a later date. Are there any other alarm manufacturers who make a good product besides DEI? Is Clifford still in business?

Thanks,
Ted Thomas

Mackpipes
03-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Vu,
I'll be there. I wan't to schedule an alarm and actuator install at a later date. Are there any other alarm manufacturers who make a good product besides DEI? Is Clifford still in business?

Thanks,
Ted Thomas

BW911
03-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Ted, I think DEI now owns Clifford. Vu?

- Bill

Doug E
03-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Bill - I didn't know you had a Python in your car as well. Mine came equiped with one from the previous owner but unfortunately there wasn't a manual with the car. Every time I disconnected and then reconnected the battery it would drive me nuts because I was randomly pushing buttons on the keypad until the siren stopped.

Finally the other night was the last straw when I woke the baby up so I took it into a local shop yesterday and they just disconnected the whole damn thing. In my case the brain box was under the seat and after watching the shop guy do it I was amazed at how quickly it could be deactivated.

BW911
03-20-2003, 04:32 PM
Doug, Yeah, any one of them can be pretty easily disarmed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I've got a Python manual and will be glad to make you a copy if you want to still use the alarm. Also, you might try going to Hurleys auto audio. They are in the same building as Intersport in Tysons. They did mine, and I figure I'll go back to see if they can change my locking sequence.

Bill

Mackpipes
03-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Vu,
I'll be there. I want to schedule an alarm and actuator install while I'm there(to be done at a later date). Does anyone make good alarms besides DEI? Is Clifford still in business? Should be fun to watch. Thanks for setting this up.

Ted

87turbolook911
03-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Ted...we can go over the various alarm options and schedule you at a later date.

Also...Are you still interested in the track pipe? I have somone interested, but I told them you have first dibbs.

Python is made by DEI and they also own Clifford.

KeithLambert7
03-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Vu,

Can you post your shop directions and the phone number there? I'll be coming in from Leesburg, VA, and need to allow enough time to get there by 8am.

Keith

Mackpipes
03-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Vu,
Thank you for holding that trackpipes for me. However Go ahead and give it to the other guy. I think I'm going to a B&B system. Sorry for the multiple posts, I didn't think my first one went though.

Thanks,

Ted

87turbolook911
03-24-2003, 08:03 AM
The store address is:
DSI Electronics
9855 Washington Blvd N, Suite E
Laurel, MD 20723
301-490-4197

From Virginia, take 495 to 95N to Maryland
-exit Route 216 East
-make left at first traffic sign (you'll see a Exxon/Mobil station there)
-go straight until the road comes to a T
-then make a right
-go to the next stoplight, which takes you to Route 1
-make right then immediately get into the left lane
-DSI is in a strip mall on the left.

For more detailed directions I'd suggest going to www.mapquest.com

fletch0378
04-01-2003, 01:35 PM
I have my 1987 911 Carrera for sale :( and am looking for someone to take it to the Hershey Swap Meet on 4/26/03. I will be in attendance at the 4/6/03 stereo workshop. I just need to get it there and in the "for sale coral" for the day, you will be driving the vehicle up and back and caravaning with mackpipes (Ted) and the MARC crew.

Also, please swing by if you are interested in checking out the vehicle.

Please see me Sunday if you are interested.

~Fletch~

BlackTalon
04-02-2003, 03:22 PM
:D Only4moredaysuntilIfinallyhavemyfirstin-carCDplayerOnly4moredaysuntilIfinallyhavemyfirstin-carCDplayerOnly4moredaysuntilIfinallyhavemyfirstin-carCDplayerOnly4moredaysuntilIfinallyhavemyfirstin-carCDplayerOnly4moredaysuntilIfinallyhavemyfirstin-carCDplayerOnly4moredaysuntilIfinallyhavemyfirstin-carCDplayer

Can't you just feel the love?

Too bad it's already obsolete! It will probably be 10 years before I spring for a SACD/ DVD-A player...

I hope to see a lot of bright, smiling faces on Sunday morning!

Now I just need to decide if I should break it in with AC/DC or GNR... I think I need to sift through my CD collection later this week :)

87turbolook911
04-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Are you going to pick out your equipment in advance? No big deal if you decided to do it Sunday morning.

914guy
04-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Vu~
If it is okay I would like to take a look at some options on sunday for having you guys do an install in my '75 914 when it is done.

~Eric

87turbolook911
04-02-2003, 05:13 PM
I really enjoy talking about stereos, just ask Dave.

See you Sunday!

BW911
04-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Vu, I plan to be there too. Maybe you can make some suggestions about some new door speakers, and perhaps poke around at my Python alarm brain. If there's time of course.

Bill

KeithLambert7
04-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Daylight Savings Time - this Sunday morning?

Anyone know? Don't wanna be an hour late.... :oops:

Keith

87turbolook911
04-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Yep...need to turn the clock forward 1 hour before you got to bed tonight. Hope to see most of you in the morning!

BW911
04-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks to Vu for putting on the Stereo and Alarm day today at DSI in Laurel. I learned a lot about how all that stuff gets installed and got some good suggestions on how to beef up my sound. It was great seeing some very cool Porsches and, of course, meeting more faces behind the names on this board.

Others can describe what they got installed, but I've got one recommendation here: If you get the chance, by all means ask Vu to show you the audio installation he did in his 911 cab. Not only does it sound fabulous, but he rebuilt the center console to accomodate a subwoofer, under the dash and ahead of the shifter, and recovered it in leather. It looks stock only better than the factory's console and way cooler than some other installations I've seen described on the PP board.
8)

Looking forward now to Hershey.

-- Bill

KeithLambert7
04-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Vu,

Can't thank you guys enough for putting the Stereo/Alarm day together! It was very educational... I now have a healthy respect for the alarm installers who drill, solder, pull wire, and isolate the electronics of our cars.

My alarm works great, and the keyless entry is fantastic. Well worth the time - sorry we ran a little late... :shock: When I upgrade my strero and I will be soon, after looking around the showroom, I'll bring it to you guys!!

Nice meeting everyone, and seeing all the great cars!

Keith

87turbolook911
04-07-2003, 08:30 AM
It was great to see everyone yesteday! I hope you all enjoyed getting a glimpse of a stereo and alarm installers typical work day. What took us six hours normally takes them 2-3 hours.

The donor cars turned out great! Just ask Dave how much fun he had removing and reinstalling door panels and ask Keith how much sweat equity he put into installing the alarm. Both of them did a admirable job.

BlackTalon
04-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I think the worst part of installing a new stereo is removing and reinstalling the dang door panels! The rear deck may be a pain as well, but several other 'Dorkis' were kind enough to complete the entire rear speaker repalcement -- plus fabrication of custom grilles -- without any assistance from me. Thanks a lot, guys! The head unit swap looked pretty straight-forward, and the amp install didn't look too bad.

It was great working in DSI's shop, as they had all the necessary wires, connectors, etc. handy, and tools to supplement Vu's toolbox. Having the right tools definitely made the work easier.

I also learned that foam speaker surrounds don't hold up very well after 16 years! There was only about 10 percent of the material left on both of my original front speakers! The new system sounded great on the way home. I need to spend a little bit of time to tweak it, but the improvement over the stock system is pretty tremendous.

An for those of you who need to pull off door panels in the future, make sure you carefully label the power window connectors. The are 5 to 6 connectors on each of the three switches, and the same color wires are used more then once per switch. Live and learn...

87turbolook911
04-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Dave,

Hopefuly you didn't have any nightmares with door panels attacking you :)

Actually ...I think if you hadn't had trouble with the window switch, it all would have been a less daunting task.

Look at it this way.....you came through ok and you've got new sweet sounds in your ride.

By the way, did the Mrs. check the system out?

914guy
04-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Did anyone happen to take any pictures from the install day? I was looking forward to getting out there, but forgot about a family thing I had to do on Sunday morning.

I woul love to see the work you guys did.

~Eric

87turbolook911
04-07-2003, 02:16 PM
I don't think our camera person showed up, and we were so busy doing the install I don't think we got any pics. Maybe Dave will post some after shots.

I'll be taking off my door panels this week to replace the door lock rod. I'll try to take pictures of that process.

Vu

Charlie Stylianos
04-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Sorry Guys,

I think I volunteered to be the camera person. Obviously, I was not able to make it Sunday morning. Other plans came up last minute.

If anyone has pictures of the event or post-install picures, I can create a gallery album. Let me know.

BW911
04-07-2003, 04:51 PM
David, I wish I'd known about your switch problem. I made a little diagram of how the wires go and keep it in my glove box. Like you, I learned the hard way. In my case, a switch went bad.

I'm glad to hear your project ended up well, though. You looked still deep in it when I left. Hope the tunes sound good.

- Bill

BlackTalon
04-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Vu:

The wife listened for a couple minutes, and was pretty happy. I need to spend a little time playing with the front/ rear fade and the bass/ treble settings. Most of the sound was coming from behind me on the way home. I assume it would be better to play with the fade on the amp, rather then the head unit? And try as I might, I could not find the bass/ treble controls on the ride home -- I need to break out the head unit manual tonight!

Bill:

Now you tell me!! :) I Dorki'd around with the window switch on the Passenger door for about 20 minutes before David (from DSI) told me it would only work after the Driver's side was reconnected :shock: After that, it only took me three combinations before I got the Passenger-side window working again.

Thanks again for all your help with the rear speakers.

KeithLambert7
04-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Sorry Guys,

I think I volunteered to be the camera person. Obviously, I was not able to make it Sunday morning. Other plans came up last minute.

If anyone has pictures of the event or post-install picures, I can create a gallery album. Let me know.

As Vu said, I was sweating and up to my armpits in wiring harnesses, and forgot to take any pictures, though I did bring my camera :( I'll take some post-install pictures tomorrow and put them up for the rest who couldn't make it into the gallery.

My favorite part of the Viper install of was getting to the wire harnesses (and soldering them) that were located up front, behind the driver's side strut. What a b****h that one was. I have hands like a gorrilla, but needed the hands of a 3yr-old just to fit in there. "You mean I have to solder wires in THERE?!"

I also discovered what Dave and Vu meant when they asked me before we started 'how my back was'... :shock: After lying on my kidneys for 3 hours off and on looking for wires under the dash with the blood rushing to my head...well I GET it now. :wink:

Seriously, it was a lot of fun, and the shop was fantastic, with all the parts and tools we needed.

In our 356 Group, we all stand around eating donuts and drinking coffee while someone demonstrates a technique. This is obviously a more HAND-ON group. I like it!! :D :D :D

Keith

Charlie Stylianos
04-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Keith and others,

Stereo and Alarm Day album created in the 'Other Events' album.

Post pictures here:

http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/modules.php?set_albumName=album13&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

KeithLambert7
04-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Keith and others,

Stereo and Alarm Day album created in the 'Other Events' album.

Post pictures here:

http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/modules.php?set_albumName=album13&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Just finished posting 12 pics of the Alarm/Keyless system in the gallery!!

Keith

BlackTalon
04-09-2003, 12:19 AM
I'd love to post some stereo pics, but I don't have a digital camera. Anyone have one in the Alexandria area?