PDA

View Full Version : Racing Seat Molding Foam Help

ruffyz
05-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm on a team with several big drivers with the seat mounted far back, so I'm looking for way to get me closer to the controls. We have the seat on sliders but even so I can't quite get the positioning correct. My cursory search on the internet has pointed me towards molding foam systems. Does anyone have any experience with using molded foam systems such as https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/foam-seat-inserts.asp. Or should I just buy a bunch of padding wrapped in nomex?

Potomac-Greg
05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm on a team with several big drivers with the seat mounted far back, so I'm looking for way to get me closer to the controls. We have the seat on sliders but even so I can't quite get the positioning correct. My cursory search on the internet has pointed me towards molding foam systems. Does anyone have any experience with using molded foam systems such as https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/foam-seat-inserts.asp. Or should I just buy a bunch of padding wrapped in nomex?

Tough call. Those mouldable foam bags are not cheap and it's painful to think of investing in one for a single use. I've seen the pads like the ones at the go kart place. I doubt they are fire proof, but if YOU are wearing nomex, then maybe it's sufficient. Maybe find a team with three smaller driver and one goon, and switch? ;-)

N Fotouhi
05-30-2013, 04:54 PM

I do not believe that most seat covers are nomex, so why wrap the pad in nomex? The question is how much padding do you need? Take a look at the back saver pads at Pegasus. They are about 3/4" thick, but are soft. The one I bought is large enough to cover the seat bottom and the lower part of the back of the seat. I also bought the other padding that has a adhesive backing. I figure one of those should work for our two car driver.

The Pegasus guys will tell you that two part stuff are for custom covering seat moudling, not what you have in mind.

ruffyz
05-30-2013, 06:55 PM
I do not believe that most seat covers are nomex, so why wrap the pad in nomex? The question is how much padding do you need? Take a look at the back saver pads at Pegasus. They are about 3/4" thick, but are soft. The one I bought is large enough to cover the seat bottom and the lower part of the back of the seat. I also bought the other padding that has a adhesive backing. I figure one of those should work for our two car driver.

The Pegasus guys will tell you that two part stuff are for custom covering seat moudling, not what you have in mind.

Yeah the logistics of removing a hard molded custom seat during driver changes seemed difficult. I'll look more into the foam padding.