PDA

View Full Version : Lift installer in Maryland?

Mark Hubley
05-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I think I'm finally going to get the two-post lift I've been dreaming of for a while now. Can anyone recommend an installer in the area? I'm east of DC near Upper Marlboro, not far from Baysox Stadium.

Darryl
05-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I've got a guy for you, but his contact info is at my shop, so I'll get it to you tomorrow.

- Darryl

jerome951
05-08-2013, 10:20 AM
A colleague's Dad just had a lift installed in Bethesda and this company did a nice job.
B&R Associates in the Gaithersburg Airpark.
http://bandrassociates.com/ (http://bandrassociates.com/)
They handled receipt of the unit, delivery, and install. He bought the 'Porsche' model from Rotary, which has lower arms and screw-up pads. My colleague can rack his Cayman without jacking the car up.

John Clay
05-08-2013, 11:41 AM
A colleague's Dad just had a lift installed in Bethesda and this company did a nice job.
B&R Associates in the Gaithersburg Airpark.
http://bandrassociates.com/ (http://bandrassociates.com/)
They handled receipt of the unit, delivery, and install. He bought the 'Porsche' model from Rotary, which has lower arms and screw-up pads. My colleague can rack his Cayman without jacking the car up.

I play soccer with Dave Rasavage, one of their salesmen. He's a good guy.

Vicegrip
05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I hope they have better residential work pricing their com pricing is very high.

super90
05-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I hope they have better residential work pricing their com pricing is very high.

What do they charge for installation?

Mark Hubley
05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Well, my plans might be changing . . .

I have a good relationship with a local service shop, and I stopped by to ask him who installed his lifts. He said he is planning to downsize his shop by the end of the year, so he's offered to sell me one of his lifts. It's a Nussbaum 9,000 lb 2-post that's just a couple of years old. He had his lifts installed by a local guy (specializes in concrete work, but has done numerous lifts) who will do the work for about $500.

Before having the above conversation I got a rough estimate from B&R on installing a new lift. They said $100 for the trip plus $160/hour (two guys). The woman I spoke with figured the worst case scenario was that it would take 6 or 7 hours; so $1,200 at the high end.

I'll update as I get more information.

HoodPin
05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Right place..... Right time.....

Mark Hubley
05-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Right place..... Right time.....

No doubt. I'd never heard of Nussbaum before, but it looks like the quality is pretty good. Getting it for half the price of a new one; works for me.

If things work out, I expect my first project will be the installation of that LSD transaxle ;) Probably after the Watkins Glen DE.

Mark Hubley
05-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Turns out I've just made an appointment with B&R to do my installation. They are shooting for the week of June 3.

In the meantime, I need to get the lift transported from the shop it's in over to my garage (about a 2.5 mile drive). I'm trying to think if I know anyone with a trailer that would work. I have a horse trailer, but it might be tricky to load and unload lift parts into a horse trailer.

If there's anyone within a reasonable distance from Lothian, MD (near Upper Marlboro) with a flatbed that would like to help out (we can discuss compensation in beer, gas $$$, etc.), let me know. Maybe on Friday, May 31, or Monday, June 3.

HoodPin
05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Turns out I've just made an appointment with B&R to do my installation. They are shooting for the week of June 3.

In the meantime, I need to get the lift transported from the shop it's in over to my garage (about a 2.5 mile drive). I'm trying to think if I know anyone with a trailer that would work. I have a horse trailer, but it might be tricky to load and unload lift parts into a horse trailer.

If there's anyone within a reasonable distance from Lothian, MD (near Upper Marlboro) with a flatbed that would like to help out (we can discuss compensation in beer, gas $$$, etc.), let me know. Maybe on Friday, May 31, or Monday, June 3.

Mark, I'm not sure if its too small, but I have a 5 x 8 garden trailer that you're welcome to borrow. The gate can be removed if any portions are reasonably longer then 8 feet. I've transported my JD garden tractor on it, so I thinks it good for up to maybe 1,000 lbs load.

Mark Hubley
05-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Got the lift at my house. Hoping to have it installed during the first week in June. Will post photos when it's finished!

Mark Hubley
06-15-2013, 02:10 PM
The lift is in and operational! Monday of last week, two guys from B&R Associates came over to do the installation. In about 5 hours they set the lift in place, drilled holes in the floor, anchored the lift, made various adjustments, and we put a car in the air. That evening I did the 97,500 mile oil change/tire rotation on my Mitsu Lancer.

Now, before the guys from B&R left we had some concerns about there being air in the hydraulic system. It sounded a bit off when we lowered the lift. The manual for the Nussbaum SPL 9000 that I downloaded from the web was not very helpful, and I don't think these guys had much or any experience with Nussbaum. They said it might work itself out after a few lift cycles. Today when I lifted and lowered the 924S for pics, I don't think it's getting any better.

I'm wondering whether I can figure out myself how to purge any air from the system, or should I call B&R and ask them to send someone out again. I did pay them $1,260 for the installation.

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/lift1.jpg

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/lift2.jpg

Mark Hubley
06-15-2013, 02:13 PM
P.S. The lift sounds perfectly fine when lifting. Just sounds unusually noisy (hissing sound) when lowering.

Mark Hubley
06-15-2013, 05:43 PM
After posting the last message, I went to the garage and lifted/lowered the 924S a few times. Now I'm thinking maybe it's fine. It lifts smooth and strong, and it lowers smooth (no jitters), so maybe I'm imagining the need to bleed. I know a lift will make noise when lowering a vehicle, mine just seemed kind of loud.

At some point soon I'll get on a ladder and check the fluid level. Then it's time to start work on my transaxle swap.

dnwong
06-17-2013, 07:54 AM
What lift did you buy and how much did it cost?

roundel
06-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Wait till it gets freezing out. My lift screams lifting when the oil is cold and thick.

Vicegrip
06-17-2013, 08:22 AM
The lift is in and operational! Monday of last week, two guys from B&R Associates came over to do the installation. In about 5 hours they set the lift in place, drilled holes in the floor, anchored the lift, made various adjustments, and we put a car in the air. That evening I did the 97,500 mile oil change/tire rotation on my Mitsu Lancer.

Now, before the guys from B&R left we had some concerns about there being air in the hydraulic system. It sounded a bit off when we lowered the lift. The manual for the Nussbaum SPL 9000 that I downloaded from the web was not very helpful, and I don't think these guys had much or any experience with Nussbaum. They said it might work itself out after a few lift cycles. Today when I lifted and lowered the 924S for pics, I don't think it's getting any better.

I'm wondering whether I can figure out myself how to purge any air from the system, or should I call B&R and ask them to send someone out again. I did pay them $1,260 for the installation.

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/lift1.jpg

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/lift2.jpgMost 2 post lift rams are set up to self purge. Some have a bolt head that is on the top of the cyl that you crack open to burp the system.

What fluid did you fill it with 32 or ATF?

Mark Hubley
06-17-2013, 09:47 AM
dnwong--I bought a used lift from a local shop. It's a Nussbaum SPL9000 with a 2008 manufacture date. I paid $1,500. Between that and the installation I'm just under $3K.

roundel--Maybe I should start thinking about central heat and air for the garage???

Vicegrip--I'm not sure what they put in for fluid, but I should probably give them a call and find out.

Mark Hubley
06-17-2013, 10:01 AM
AW32 is what they say about the fluid.

Vicegrip
06-17-2013, 10:15 AM
That is standard. Does the ram move or the cyl?

You do know that you will now learn to avoid ever crawling under a car again. "What is that, you need some help with (fill in the blank) on your car? Can you get to the shop and on the lift? No? Oh, so sorry, can't help..."

Trak Ratt
06-17-2013, 11:00 AM
^ too true! I found myself bitching about having to walk around mine yesterday. Wanted to make a 6" or 7" change in the height so I didn't have to stretch to reach something!!! Silly, and made me lol! Easy to get spoiled when you got a lift.

alw20147
06-17-2013, 11:25 AM
What lift did you buy and how much did it cost?

I'm running a Greg Smith Equipment Atlas SLP-7k - $3800 delivered into my garage.

This is a full height lift with a max lift height of 74". Unfortunately, garage ceiling height only allows for 46" of lift. High enough for me to scoot around under the car on a shop stool.

Mark Hubley
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
That is standard. Does the ram move or the cyl?

I'm not sure. Looks like the cylinders are up high with the pistons (?) extending downward.

Al--That lift looks pretty handy. I contemplated getting an Atlas QuickBay. However, since I have a 12' ceiling I figured I'd go for the proper 2-poster.

Mark Hubley
07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Last weekend I looked over my lift and found two hydraulic fittings that weren't all the way tight and were leaking some fluid. I tightened them up and topped off the fluid tank, and things seem to be working better. It lifts great, and there are no unusual sounds when lowering. Just what sounds like a normal "whoosh."

Now I need to find more time to dig into that transmission (another thread) . . .

alw20147
07-05-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure. Looks like the cylinders are up high with the pistons (?) extending downward.

Al--That lift looks pretty handy. I contemplated getting an Atlas QuickBay. However, since I have a 12' ceiling I figured I'd go for the proper 2-poster.

That is what I need! 12' ceilings! I considered the 2 post option but since i low ceilings and only a 2 car garage, a 2 post post option was quickly eliminated.

I will be doing some concrete work next spring to recess the lift platforms into the garage level to the surface. That will eliminate the need for the ramp/platforms and will leave the garage wide open with no obstructions.

When I did the water pump and thermostat 2 weeks ago, I was able to get the underside of the car lifted 53 inches off the ground. Just a bit low to walk under but great for scooting around under the car with a shop stool.

Dr K
07-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Would love to see pics of the concrete work. I also have relatively-small 2-car garage with 8-1/2 foot ceiling, and gaining 3" (and getting rid of ramps) would be great! Building a 3rd garage with 12' ceiling and lots of side space would be even better, but...