PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Machine

cmartin
02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm considering a smoke machine, if the $$ works. There seem to be a few units selling for less than 1k that look decent but I'm not convinced. Last time I used one it was the pro variety and I'm sure was way over my budget.

Anyone have experience with a lower end unit for evap and basic auto troubleshooting? I'm looking at fittings, consumables, build quality...

The other option is to home brew something. I like the idea, but I have enough on my plate and done need another chitty chitty bang bang it pieces sitting around.

Thanks for any input

rs911t
02-25-2013, 11:41 AM
wood + fire ?

BlackTalon
02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Tooltopia has one one on sale today; might want to check them out (the price is not advertised; you have to put it in a cart).

Could be something worth splitting a few ways.

Dr K
02-25-2013, 02:05 PM
wood + fire ?

Makes smoke that rises and hugs the ceiling. Smoke machine makes smoke that drops and hugs the floor. Doesn't smell as good, though... ;)

Charlie Stylianos
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Cigar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMok2y05jNE

Trak Ratt
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Lots of DYIs on the interwebs. BUT smoke can be bad for some Sensors. Air presure is easier, cleaner and works just as well.

hoophead
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I invested in a Redline Smoke Pro a few months ago, used for half price off of ebay.

I was chasing a leak on the boxster - would never have found it without the smoke. Turned out to be a fitting on the vacuum line leading to the power brake booster, hidden halfway up the car under a plastic shield.

Previously had a leak on the 3.2 that kicked my butt for several days before I figured out that the intake manifold gaskets has shrunk. Could have found it in minutes with the smoke machine, had I had one.

The only consumable is plain, garden variety baby oil. Build quality is excellent, but it amazes me that someone couldn't make an equivalent for 1/4 of the price.

Trak Ratt
02-25-2013, 02:42 PM
... The only consumable is plain, garden variety baby oil. Build quality is excellent, but it amazes me that someone couldn't make an equivalent for 1/4 of the price.Post some pics, I'll give it a try!

Vicegrip
02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I made one from a $40 bug killer from home depot. It was intended to be used with bug killer and shoot out a big cloud of insect killing fog. it uses a propane flame to heat a copper coil you pull a trigger and it injects fogger fluid into the hot coil causing it to flash into smoke and come out the front. Not a lot of pressure but it worked for the task at hand and is handy for killing Asian Tiger Mosquitoes, which I have a lot more of than air leaks.

Dr K
02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
handy for killing Asian Tiger Mosquitoes, which I have a lot more of than air leaks.

Hmmmm. I wonder if there's mosquito breeding ground nearby? :? Train your koi to eat mosquito larvae - problem solved... :)

Vicegrip
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
no chance of any larva making flight from the fish ponds. The Koi and goldies LoVe the larva and any other odd bug that makes it into the ponds. ATMs can and will breed in small bodies of water. Things like a water bottle cap is large enough. Plastic corogated drain pipes are a fav as each corgation is a little breeding pond. the abandoned backyard fish pond 2 houses down was a nmassive breeding ground until I started tossing dunks in it for the owner. (and the rest of the people within 300 yards of his mini swamp)

cmartin
02-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks all, good info.

Tooltopia has one one on sale today

Got that email too, thanks. :)

Redline Smoke Pro

Thanks, that was on my list to check out.

but it amazes me that someone couldn't make an equivalent for 1/4 of the price.

x2, that's my main issue I guess. Not something I need all the time, but it would be very handy and I think it should pay for itself eventually. I recently bought a smoke pen to use around the house and it got me thinking about this again.

I think I like the cigar idea best though, another reason to buy a few more Ashton's.

TurboPooch
02-25-2013, 10:58 PM
The Redline unit is $829. Yikes!

Charlie Stylianos
02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
What about modifying a fog machine? Or even cheaper, make your own......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exKNbK7teQs

Clarke
03-10-2013, 01:07 PM
If you are using the smoke machine to find EVAP leaks, it needs to be one made for that. Some machines allow too much psi., which can damave vacuum valves, etc. in the system. The last three shops I have worked at all have had the Snap-On machine. I think it sells for ~$1600.

VaSteve
03-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Clarke, you're back...where you been man?

Clarke
03-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Just busy with life right now.

Vicegrip
03-21-2013, 08:03 AM