PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure gauge recommendations

AznDrgn
07-06-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm getting tired of these stupid stick type gauges giving me completely different readings on tire pressure every single time I use them. What are the rest of you guys using? This is going to be for all around use and I don't need it to be dead on accurate just consistent. Pressure range will probably need to be from around 20 PSI for my dirt bikes up to ~90PSI for my trailer tires. Not looking to spend a fortune for a lab grade piece but will spend a little more for something with decent precision and reasonable accuracy.

HoodPin
07-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Get a dial type gauge, with the range you need, that has a short hose and includes a bleed valve. The hose makes it easier to see the guage regardless of where the valve happens to be on the wheel. And the bleed valve allows you to easily bleed off air while you're checking the pressure.

A decent guage will likely cost $25-$50. The more expensive gauges are likely to be more accurate in terms of actual PSI. But even less expensive ones are likely to be consistent, but may be off by a pound or two. The key, IMHO, is to use the same gauge all the time. I try to guage PSI along with roll-over wear on the edge of the tire.

realroadrage
07-06-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm getting tired of these stupid stick type gauges giving me completely different readings on tire pressure every single time I use them. What are the rest of you guys using? This is going to be for all around use and I don't need it to be dead on accurate just consistent. Pressure range will probably need to be from around 20 PSI for my dirt bikes up to ~90PSI for my trailer tires. Not looking to spend a fortune for a lab grade piece but will spend a little more for something with decent precision and reasonable accuracy.

I like the kind with the angle chuck at the end; Longacre makes a good dial gauge with an angle chuck.

smdubovsky
07-06-2012, 07:18 AM
The more expensive gauges are likely to be more accurate in terms of actual PSI.

You'd hope that was true but IME, the pricer ones are even worse. So I've come to the conclusion they are even cheaper POS gauges that they paid extra money to have their name silkscreened in.:roll:

Don't know that you'll find a useful one that goes to 90. The numbers will be really close together. Seems 60 is more typ on a big gauge. But tonys right, even the cheap ones are consistent. So just get 2. A decent one w/ a bleed valve & rubber hose that goes to only ~60 to use on track tires and an even cheaper HF fill stick that hits 100+ but has a tiny gauge.

Like this for the trailer tires: It goes to 220psi so you can imagine telling the difference of 1psi on a track tire is impossible. But fills truck/trailer tires great.
http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-chuck-tire-inflator-with-dial-gauge-68271.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_14013.jpg

Jase007
07-06-2012, 07:39 AM
I do the same.

0-50 psi, oil filled, longacre one for track tires.

0-100, longacre generic one for trailer tires / E rated truck tires.

Patrick3000
07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
What is the correct pressure for trailer tires?

Thanks

smdubovsky
07-06-2012, 08:18 AM
What is the correct pressure for trailer tires?

Printed in your trailer manual. Mine requires E rated tires and says to fill to 80psi. Others will be different.

rbpeirce
07-06-2012, 08:24 AM
I have a little digital gauge from Radio Shack. I think it cost about $7. Believe it or not it is extremely accurate. The only weakness is it doesn't always make a good connection. It is great for checking your tires each week or at the track.

Trak Ratt
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I do the same.

0-50 psi, oil filled, longacre one for track tires.

0-100, longacre generic one for trailer tires / E rated truck tires.X3

Most real trailer web pages give minimum trailer tyler presure at 50/55lbs (smaller 13" & 14" tyres used on most open deck trailers). Would be nice if the manufacturers gave real world working presure :roll:

ausgeflippt951
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
There was actually a recent thread on this in the Rennlist Racing forum.

Longacre has long been the "Gold Standard" of tire pressure gauges, so you really can't go wrong with them.

I've got both a Longacre (cost ~$70 if memory serves) and a more generic brand (called "Joe's Racing") I bought on Amazon for 1/3 the price of the Longacre ($24). They are almost identically accurate. The only real difference between the two is that the Joe's gauge doesn't hold the pressure once you've removed it from the valvestem, which the Longacre does.

I highly recommend the Joe's Racing gauge on Amazon. Rugged, comes with two swivel chucks (one angled, one straight), a nice long hose, glow-in-the-dark face, etc.

To echo what Smudbud said, I have yet to see a study showing it's worth spending $$$ for a tire pressure gauge. This doesn't mean you should get the lowest-of-the-low, either. Between $20 and $50 will get you quite a nice gauge.

Also have heard good things about the Moroso Magnum (but that gauge is enormous, no joke).

CanAm
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
This one seems to work well, but it goes to 60 psi, not 90: http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32307-Pressure-0-60psi/dp/B000VZ9CL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1341582222&sr=1-1&keywords=joe%27s+tire+gauge

ausgeflippt951
07-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Oh one more thing: when you do buy a gauge, it's generally good practice to make sure you will not usually be using it in the upper ~20% of its range. So if your gauge goes to 60psi, you can rest assured it will be accurate up to 48psi, but above that starts to get less accurate.

So in your case, with both motox tires and trailer tires to fill, I would recommend getting a few different gauges. Hell, I've dropped my enduro tires down to ~12 on really rocky enduros through the AZ desert.

Not to derail, but do you go riding often? I'm trying to find an excuse to get back into dirt riding. It's been a few years since I was last out; I had to put a hold on things after I broke my back in a motox race a few years back. I no longer have a dirt bike at my disposal (for now!), so I'm trying to placate myself by going mountain biking. Fortunately, lots of good trails 'round here. :D

Ok I'm done.

ausgeflippt951
07-06-2012, 09:48 AM
This one seems to work well, but it goes to 60 psi, not 90: http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32307-Pressure-0-60psi/dp/B000VZ9CL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1341582222&sr=1-1&keywords=joe%27s+tire+gauge

That's the one I've got. Love it.

AznDrgn
07-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the recommendations guys, looks like I will be investing in two gauges in the very near future.

Collin, I don't get to ride too often any more since I've moved up to NOVA. I would love to ride more but I don't know of any places around here and my bike is still in Harrisonburg. The biggest killer is work, working for the family business 80+ hours a week right now really kills any free time for riding.