New Ingersoll Cordless Impact Wrench (LONG) - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » New Ingersoll Cordless Impact Wrench (LONG)

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:38 PM

MatP has one HoF thread
Hall of Fame New Ingersoll Cordless Impact Wrench (LONG)

Hey guys,
Been shopping for an 18V 1/2 cordless impact gun for Christmas but having a hard time deciding which one to get. There were 3 choices I was considering -

Dewalt DW-059K-2
300 ft-lbs
1650 RPM - NO Variable Speed
2600 BPM
$262 w/ 2 batteries and 1 hour charger

Milwaukee 9079-22
240 ft-lbs
0-1450 RPM
0-2200 BPM
$280 w/ 2 batteries and 1 hour charger

Snap-On CT3850
210 ft-lbs
1950 RPM - NO Variable Speed
2400 BPM
$460 w/ 2 batteries and 1 hour charger

I have done a lot of research here, on Pelican, on Rennlist, and all over the web. The general consensus was that the Snap On model is the one to get. However, most of the Snap-On reviews dealt w/ the older 14.4V model which had variable speed. This was on of the Snap-On's biggest assets. (Kurt, I know that you like your ability to use the wrench for light duty.) The new 18V model does not have variable speed, neither does the Dewalt. I am trying to figure out if this is a big deal or not. I feel that having control over the wrench w/o having to use torque sticks would be a good thing.

I just found out that IR has a new wrench w/ the following specs - very impresive.

Ingersoll Rand 2530K (19.2V)
340 ft-lbs
0-1650 RPM
0-2200 BPM
$350 w/ 2 batteries and 1 hour charger

At first glance, the IR looks to be the best bang for the buck. But its brand new and I can't find any reviews. Traditionally, IR makes some great tools and I would feel confident in buying one. But I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the importance of variable speed and these tools in general.

I do not have a compressor and probably won't have one until the next house. So, this tool will serve double duty in the garage and at the track. I don't mind paying for the Snap-On but if I can find a better tool that will suit me (or a tool that will suit me better), that would be best.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
mat
Old 12-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Credit Card Mechanic

Manny Alban

I got the DeWalt. It's been great for me. Have just used it for changing tires at home and the track. I've had it for a little over a year.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

VSR is key to a impact gun. I got mine to change wheels at the track but found that it is great for many other tasks. Stunning that Sap-On would drop the VS. without VS it is nothing but a lug buster. BTW The Milwaukee is heavy at 10 pounds or so. Sounds like the IR might be the way to go.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:32 PM

MatP has one HoF thread

Great feedback guys, thanks. I had a feeling that the variable speed was key. If I end up going the IR route, I'll be sure to post my feedback.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

My Mother bought my son a 18 (something) volt from HF for ~$125. Comes with case, charger, etc, etc.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 12-27-2005, 12:49 AM

BW911

Unless things have changed, I believe Harbor Freight makes the official impact wrench of the Dorki trackside ghetto.

'88 Carrera
Old 12-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

The only thing that I'd worry about the IR is if they are doing the Craftsman thing - build a reputation with one type of tool (IR = air tools) and then hope that people associate that reputation with different tools that are just rebranded, inferior quality crap from another mfr. Most of Craftsman's power tools suck becuase they're nothing more than crap Ryobi or Black and Decker units with a Craftsman label on them, but folks buy them becuase that Craftsman socket wrench they bought 20 yrs ago is still going strong.

OTOH, if they're doing like Snap On (quality tool from a quality company), good times. I'd hope IR would follow the Sanp On model and not the Craftsman one, but it pays to be sure. Not saying the IR is bad, just something to think about. Good luck.
1999 E46 328i
Old 12-27-2005, 08:11 AM

Chopper Dropper

Had my Sears for about 2 years now. Works great at the track and I use it at home for occasional stuff when I don't want to start the compressor. had trouble with batteries etc with previous ones so liked the idea of just taking it to Sears for new charging units/batteries etc. Variable speed and priced pretty well.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 12-27-2005, 02:47 PM

MatP has one HoF thread

Ok - some new info. Looks like the Snap On IS variable speed. I emailed a guy who has one for sale on ebay and he confirmed. Weird thing is that it doesn't say that on the Snap-On site. It specifically mentions it for the 3/8" drive 12V but not for the 18V 1/2" one. So, if I could get the Snap-On for like $350 used vs same price for the IR....what do you guys think? The IR has a LOT more torque 350# vs 210# - that a big difference.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

I doubt you have any fasteners on your car that need to be torqued to more than 150 ft-lbs... Unless you do the center lug conversion!

- 2024 is the year, beeches...