Boxster tranny (the work begins) - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Boxster tranny (the work begins)

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads
Hall of Fame Boxster tranny (the work begins)

Anyone want to help drop a boxster tranny Sun afternoon/evening? Got a tranny jack I can borrow (though Im not really sure I need one)?

I wrestled the car into the garage and onto the lift today. Reverse not only doesn't work, you can't even roll the car backwards in any gear! Battery is dead to boot Already removed all the cross supports, exhaust, etc. The majority of work thats left is CVs, coolant hoses, and getting the tranny itself unbolted. Im going to get the CVs and bolts done as much as possible tonight. The manual says I need a simple pin tool (9595/P258) to hold the tranny in place and unbolt the converter. I'll investigate and make one of those.

Im going riding in the morning and grilling an early lunch w/ friends afterwards. I REALLY need a break from car stuff. I plan to get back into it early evening. If anyone wants to help or even just stop by and drink a beer, PM me for an addr/phone #.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Take pix please. some folks have never seen the go parts of a Boxster.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 AM

OldTee has one HoF thread

what time? where?

ARF
1991 Corvette
Need locks don't use H & H Lock Company
Capital One is the pits!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Potomac-Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
Anyone want to help drop a boxster tranny Sun afternoon/evening? Got a tranny jack I can borrow (though Im not really sure I need one)?

I wrestled the car into the garage and onto the lift today. Reverse not only doesn't work, you can't even roll the car backwards in any gear! Battery is dead to boot Already removed all the cross supports, exhaust, etc. The majority of work thats left is CVs, coolant hoses, and getting the tranny itself unbolted. Im going to get the CVs and bolts done as much as possible tonight. The manual says I need a simple pin tool (9595/P258) to hold the tranny in place and unbolt the converter. I'll investigate and make one of those.

Im going riding in the morning and grilling an early lunch w/ friends afterwards. I REALLY need a break from car stuff. I plan to get back into it early evening. If anyone wants to help or even just stop by and drink a beer, PM me for an addr/phone #.
The good folks at Der Vorganger are always interested in a unique DIY. Take pics and you can be famous.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM

slbates

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post

You will need a pin tool to lock the crank in place as well. Make sure you follow the factory refill procedure exactly. The Tips are very sensitive to correct fluid levels.
911SC (gone)
Old 08-09-2009, 09:52 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbates View Post
You will need a pin tool to lock the crank in place as well.
Yeah, tool 9595 has both a long and short rod. Looks like the short one needs to be an ~8mm diam rod. I think I used a pc of 1/4" rod (5/16" would be closer) steel and managed to find the hole to put it in. The pics in the manual aren't exactly clear where it is w/ all the auxiliaries in the way.

Now I understand why the starter has to come off. Im still not entirely sure what you unbolt though its hole though. It must become clear once the tranny is off. FWIW, to get the starter off the throttle body and part of the intake piping must come off. Geez... Having a lift REALLY helps get to stuff under the car, but it hinders access from above - can't open the doors fully. Boxsters have crappy enough access from the top already.

I've given up for the evening. If I can get the starter & those unknown bolts out tomorrow it will have been a good day. This is going to take much longer than expected. Simple engine drop it is not.

After Kurts comment, Im taking some pics.

Why did I have to pic the hottest day of the year to do this? I've left the garage door shut all day (its insulated) and the kitchen door open but its not helping much. Need to dig out a fan to blow AC out there. Its humid.

I also seem to have a zillion mosquitoes in the far side of my garage. How they've gotten in I have no clue. There are more IN the garage than I've seen outside in weeks while working on other stuff. WTF?
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 08-09-2009, 09:12 PM

markwemple

Wish I read this sooner, Stephen. Please keep us informed.
1976 911 S Targa

Formerly:
1964 scca C coupe
1965 C coupe
1968 912 Targa
1970 914/4
1985.5 944

(glutton for punishment)
Now a Potomac Member (sorry guys)
Also: Bugeyes, Vanagons, Fiat Spyder, Ducati 916, BMW R65RT, '78 xs11, cB750k0, ct90k0, ca110 .....

Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them. Mark Twain

...then there was this mind reader who moved to Washington DC and couldn't find work.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:20 PM

Its out! The manual is full of shit on some of the instructions too! Here are some pics.

1) The inside/top access
2) removing the throttle body (take it completely off)
3) Take the starter off
Attached Images

1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM

1) Use a LONG extension fed all the way though the motor to get to the lower nut on the starter.

Rotate the crank into TDC position (see manual) and insert tools 9595 (basically 8mm rods) into pulley & flywheel. Remove two bolts w/ LONG 6mm allen wrench though the starter hole (minimum 3" extension). Pull pins, rotate crank 120deg, repeat 2 more times (total of 6 bolts). I have no pic of this because I did it blind. I used a borescope to see what it looked like in there, but you could use a mirror. You can feel around w/ the 6mm bit and find them by feel. Putting them back in will be more fun...

Don't forget to unbolt the breather hose near the engine hoist point. Manual forgets to mention this. (Visible in the center of the last pic of the prior post)
Attached Images

1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 PM

1) remove muffler & 2nd cats, bottom braces, & V braces (there is a big black one and a thinner aluminum one).
2) parts

*Unbolt CVs.
*Disconnect shift linkage (2 places - manual describes it)
*Disconnect 2 small water lines (the factory description of this is wrong. Must be for a different motor?). I simply removed the two short hoses near the flywheel w/o pinching anything off. About a qt of coolant came out.
*disconnect round electrical connector
Attached Images

1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930