Complete data logger geek-out - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Complete data logger geek-out

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 PM

rs911t has one HoF thread
Hall of Fame Complete data logger geek-out

One of my "winter" projects is to wire the car for logging using the RacePak G2X I've had for a couple years. Its been used in the past for standard GPS/speed/RPM data. Time for more data if for no other reason than (1) I'm a geek and (2) it's job related.

Name:  logger-geekout.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  155.6 KB

When in doubt, always mount a scratch monkey.

Leesburg, VA
Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs911t View Post
Time for more data if for no other reason than (1) I'm a geek and (2) it's job related.
Hire me so I can do the same and write this stuff off, too
1999 E46 328i
Old 03-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Hire me so I can do the same and write this stuff off, too
just buy the setup add a bracket or two, sell them at a lose (making it up in volume like the car dealerships) and there you are

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Eric S
Default Sensor-mania

Greg,

Is this for your 964? If so, please let me know how/where you insert the brake pressure sensor. That is a data point I would like to collect. I would also be interested in where/how you pick up the TPS. Thanks!
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 PM

Fairfax 944 has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Greg,

Is this for your 964? If so, please let me know how/where you insert the brake pressure sensor. That is a data point I would like to collect. I would also be interested in where/how you pick up the TPS. Thanks!
I still need to figure out my brake pressure sensor. Where did you you get the T-fitting to tap into the hydralic system? What size fittings are on the T-fitting? Where do you plan on installing it?

I know my 944 will be different, but I'm sure I can adapt other's ideas. Thanks.

Jim
Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax 944
I still need to figure out my brake pressure sensor. Where did you you get the T-fitting to tap into the hydralic system? What size fittings are on the T-fitting? Where do you plan on installing it?
I bought two T-connectors from Pegasus to try. The 1st is based on a guess that my new fuel lines have 3AN female ends. The 2nd allows me to find the correct fittings if my guess is wrong.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=3209
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro....asp?RecId=906

The plan is to plumb it into the left rear brake line, preferably in position A. Part #42 is being replaced with a new stainless flexible brake line. Part #41 was replaced with stainless awhile ago. The guess is the female ends are 3AN, otherwise I'm still looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax 944
Do you have the cable to the Universal Sensor Module backwards? I thought the double ended connector goes to the VNET bus (e.g., the wirewall or your fuel pump voltage sensor), and the single connector terminates at the USM? Maybe it works both ways?
Only connects one way. The USM comes with a 9" cable. It can be in the middle or at the end of the vnet "bus", like all their connectors. The 12v sensor is also going into the USM. The module will have one end of the 9" cable plus terminator and the other end into the bulkhead connector.
Attached Images

Leesburg, VA

Last edited by rs911t; 03-25-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:50 PM

Sold the 964, down to a single Porsche. It's all going into the '72T. That said, a variation on my plan should work with the 964. I'll post more pix when I have the parts and the bits installed.

Leesburg, VA
Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 AM

Default I'm now in the process of installing the Racepak IQ3 in my 1986 951

The interesting part of this job for me is the ability to tap in to various wires for the DME and KLR without buying or installing new sensors. I've tapped into the throttle position pickup and the DME eng. temp sensor.

Last night, I spent about 2 hours with the temperature sensor in a can of water, and gradually brought the water to a boil in order to generate a volt versus temperature curve that I entered into the IQ3.

My next sensor is boost. While there is a boost output to the dash, I'm not optomistic about tapping into this, as there are two wires for the boost gauge (not one), and the voltage of that one varried between 7 and 8 volts. The input for the Racepak system has a max of 5 volts.

Thus far, I'm disapointed with the support of Racepak on their IQ3. I'm having problems keeping the accelerometers in calibration. Also, the manual does not explain some of the features such as setting the start/finish line and reviewing lap times via the IQ3. I've asked at least 3 maybe 4 times for assistance, but have not gotten the necessary information. I'm guessing that there are bugs in the firmware, and they can't fix the problems without a firmware update which is not ready yet.

They promised a corrected instruction manual 2 weeks ago, but it has not been released yet.

More to follow when things are fully installed.

Here's a picture of my setup.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Do you have the cable to the Universal Sensor Module backwards? I thought the double ended connector goes to the VNET bus (e.g., the wirewall or your fuel pump voltage sensor), and the single connector terminates at the USM? Maybe it works both ways?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 PM

tbernard

On my G2X I have brake pressure, and throttle position sensors. For the brake pressure I used an autometer adapter to go from the 1/8NPT to the metric fittings on my master cylinder. The master cylinder in my car has 4 outputs, 2 for each circuit. So I just removed one of the plugs, and used that as a tap point. Best price on the adapter at the time was from amazon, of all places.

Todd

Gone
18 718 Cayman GTS (GT Silver)
14 981 Cayman S (white)
15 991.1 GT3
11 997.2 GT3
96 993 Targa
96 993 C2 tracker
00 986 Boxster S
99 986 Boxster