F-150 transmission issues - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » F-150 transmission issues

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:17 AM

SJK
Default F-150 transmission issues

Don't know what it is with me and transmissions but the my tow vehicle is shifting roughly and shuddering. Took it to the dealer for a "diagnostic". No codes but their "recommendation" was replace the transmission and the torque converter.

Asked how they determined both were bad got a "dah" in response. Turns out they didn't even check the fluid to see if was full or had metal shavings in it.

Bottom line is does anyone know a good transmission guy that works on Ford trucks? A PDK this is not.

Stephen
PCA Potomac Treasurer
Track Steward
'02 Boxster S (gone to a good home)
Old 11-13-2023, 11:59 AM

HoodPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJK View Post
Don't know what it is with me and transmissions but the my tow vehicle is shifting roughly and shuddering. Took it to the dealer for a "diagnostic". No codes but their "recommendation" was replace the transmission and the torque converter.

Asked how they determined both were bad got a "dah" in response. Turns out they didn't even check the fluid to see if was full or had metal shavings in it.

Bottom line is does anyone know a good transmission guy that works on Ford trucks? A PDK this is not.

Stephen
PCA Potomac Treasurer
Track Steward
Stephen,
My 2001 2500 Chevy Suburban went through 2 trannies in its first 130K miles, and lots of miles with a trailer in tow. The 3rd time, the shop I used recommended a rebuild by RMP Transmissions (unfortunately I don't see them online now; not sure if they've changed names). They upgraded many of the internal components, and it worked great! I towed a variety of trailers with it, until I passed the truck along to my FIL in 2017, who still has it with over 235K miles on it.

The shop I used was Flowerhill Automotive, in Gaithersburg MD, so not exactly close to you. Flowerhill does a LOT of commercial truck work; they may know who does the rebuilds now. If you have a more local indy shop that you trust, see if they can work with RMP. Sadly, I doubt the dealer will work with anything other than OEM.

UPDATE: I just spoke with Flowerhill and they said RMP no longer exists. However, they currently use Glen Burnie Transmissions (410-766-8500) or rebuilds/replacements. I called Glen Burnie Trans and they said they use Jim Jennings Transmissions (410-686-6700) for upgrade type rebuilds.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)

Last edited by HoodPin; 11-13-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

I’d start with a search of the F150 boards on the inter webs. I assume you checked the fluid? But also take a look at the motor/trans mounts to see if they looked “worn or busted”.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending

Last edited by Trak Ratt; 11-14-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:32 AM

cmartin

What year? 6 or 10 sp?

Glen Burnie transmission has been around forever.