Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Other Technical Discussions (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   F-150 transmission issues (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=42300)

SJK 11-13-2023 10:17 AM

F-150 transmission issues

Don't know what it is with me and transmissions but the my tow vehicle is shifting roughly and shuddering. Took it to the dealer for a "diagnostic". No codes but their "recommendation" was replace the transmission and the torque converter.

Asked how they determined both were bad got a "dah" in response. Turns out they didn't even check the fluid to see if was full or had metal shavings in it.

Bottom line is does anyone know a good transmission guy that works on Ford trucks? A PDK this is not.

Stephen
PCA Potomac Treasurer
Track Steward

HoodPin 11-13-2023 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJK (Post 661241)
Don't know what it is with me and transmissions but the my tow vehicle is shifting roughly and shuddering. Took it to the dealer for a "diagnostic". No codes but their "recommendation" was replace the transmission and the torque converter.

Asked how they determined both were bad got a "dah" in response. Turns out they didn't even check the fluid to see if was full or had metal shavings in it.

Bottom line is does anyone know a good transmission guy that works on Ford trucks? A PDK this is not.

Stephen
PCA Potomac Treasurer
Track Steward

Stephen,
My 2001 2500 Chevy Suburban went through 2 trannies in its first 130K miles, and lots of miles with a trailer in tow. The 3rd time, the shop I used recommended a rebuild by RMP Transmissions (unfortunately I don't see them online now; not sure if they've changed names). They upgraded many of the internal components, and it worked great! I towed a variety of trailers with it, until I passed the truck along to my FIL in 2017, who still has it with over 235K miles on it.

The shop I used was Flowerhill Automotive, in Gaithersburg MD, so not exactly close to you. Flowerhill does a LOT of commercial truck work; they may know who does the rebuilds now. If you have a more local indy shop that you trust, see if they can work with RMP. Sadly, I doubt the dealer will work with anything other than OEM.

UPDATE: I just spoke with Flowerhill and they said RMP no longer exists. However, they currently use Glen Burnie Transmissions (410-766-8500) or rebuilds/replacements. I called Glen Burnie Trans and they said they use Jim Jennings Transmissions (410-686-6700) for upgrade type rebuilds.

Trak Ratt 11-13-2023 10:07 PM

I’d start with a search of the F150 boards on the inter webs. I assume you checked the fluid? But also take a look at the motor/trans mounts to see if they looked “worn or busted”.

cmartin 11-14-2023 12:32 AM

What year? 6 or 10 sp?

Glen Burnie transmission has been around forever.