PDA

View Full Version : Pilots?

nova996
01-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Just wondering how many dorkis are pilots? I see aviation references here and there which made me curious. I think someone here is actually a transport pilot, but I can't remember who.

I'm working on my private right now. After that I want to move on to an instrument rating this fall/winter.

Which of course means I'll be doing a lot of X/C time this year. Which will work out well if I fly out to watch a couple of the 944 Cup races or club races. Danville, VA has an airport conveniently located near the sleep inn. Wasn't that thoughtul of them? ;) But I may have to ask someone for a ride to the track. Renting a car to go the 3 miles or whatever it is seems silly, and I don't remember seeing too many taxis on Rte. 58.

Firoze

cmartin
01-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Firoze

That sounds like a cool trip. I cant help with the flying, but the on land transport is cake, Bike Friday. Buy a folding bike and get some cardio ont he way to the track. The bike fold into a suitcase and are robust enough for seriouss riding.

http://www.bikefriday.com/FCompares.cfm

Chopper Dropper
01-16-2005, 11:17 AM
There are a couple of pilots I know about. I have FAA commercial rotorcraft, Uk Private fixed wing, and lapsed Rorcraft CFI. Used to crop dust and fight fires (bucket drops) plus lift work and a host of other unusual jobs. Tony K I believe is licensed as is John Brown and I know a few others.. Danville airport to the track is more like 7 or 8 miles at a guess.
Dirk

nova996
01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Firoze

That sounds like a cool trip. I cant help with the flying, but the on land transport is cake, Bike Friday. Buy a folding bike and get some cardio ont he way to the track. The bike fold into a suitcase and are robust enough for seriouss riding.

Brilliant! Thanks. I should definitely pack one of those.

APKhaos
01-16-2005, 12:03 PM
I've got about 2500 hours on various things, all of which had wings firmly attached to fuselage [unlike out fling-wing friend from the highlands].
Quite a few of my hours were logged racing sailplanes.

nova996
01-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Wow, aerial fire fighting and racing sailplanes?? :shock:

Dorkis kick a**, huh?

Just don't laugh at my little rental 172, ok? I'm not even in the green group yet of pilots. But I'm having some serious fun.

So any "green group" dorki pilots?

Firoze

OldTee
01-16-2005, 09:44 PM
ATP, A&P was IA. 3000+ hrs, former Technical Service Manager, Professional Aviation Maintenance Association. Retired, grounded and now land bound! Bought a boat! :oops:
ARF

slbates
01-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Private Pilot ASEL

I originally obtained my private to fly to my dads beach house on Robin Lane near Billy Mitchell Airport. Started my instument so I could actually fly there! It's tough to fly long distances whith the weather/visibility always lurking about. Some good places to go on your X/C if your in a 172: THV, LNS, CHO, PHL, RIC. I have two sons, age 10 and 3, that occupy most all of my free time these days...currently with no 3rd class and dropped out of the flying club. I only did a few hours of instrument training before my youngest son was born.

Have fun on the X/C's.

Dave O
01-16-2005, 10:38 PM
I fly hang gliders, no need for an 'unreliable' engine hanging out in the air. Of course I get only one shot at an approach. :lol:

APKhaos
01-17-2005, 03:29 AM
I fly hang gliders, no need for an 'unreliable' engine hanging out in the air. Of course I get only one shot at an approach. :lol:

Launches are discretionary. Landings are mandatory.

aubreym
01-17-2005, 07:07 AM
There are a couple of pilots I know about. I have FAA commercial rotorcraft, Uk Private fixed wing, and lapsed Rorcraft CFI.
Dirk

Actually Dirk's type rating is in Large Kitchen Utensils! :shock:

CrewChief
01-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Only flying I do is in the simulator. While there have been some serious injuries from bonkers hydraulic failures; the odds are in my favor. And I don't have to pre-flight in the rain.

jpinkert
01-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Wow, aerial fire fighting and racing sailplanes?? :shock:

Dorkis kick a**, huh?

Just don't laugh at my little rental 172, ok? I'm not even in the green group yet of pilots. But I'm having some serious fun.

So any "green group" dorki pilots?

Firoze

I was just outside the green group and looking in when I was 18 years old, but quickly ran out of time and never got my license. The 172, eh? I used to fly 152s out of Leesburg. They had one that was certified for aerobatics, which meant it was ok to put it into spins. Fun fun...

Chopper Dropper
01-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Part of the U.K private was spins, did them all the time for the hell of it in regular C150s. We had night ratings as a seperate endorsement, had great fun doing loops at night in a C152. Barrel Rolls were a little more dificult at night!, but we did them.
Dirk

Dvb0415
01-18-2005, 10:37 AM
I went down that road many years ago BFP (Before Porsches). Got my private license and started working on my instrument and multi engine ratings. Had dreams of flying for my then USG employer. Even bought an airplane. Paid about 1350 for the private license and was fortunate to have friends who gave me seat time for the other stuff.

The airplane was interesting. Bought a Mooney Mark 20A, wood wings and metal tail. First mistake was to buy from a co-worker who said it was in good shape.

Later learned airplanes are like sports cars, boats and mistresses, they cost (then $200.00) every time you turn around. More now. By the way, the rental for the 172 I flew in was $25.00 wet.

CrewChief
01-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Dirk we must have had the same instructor. First loop I ever did was during a night cross country training flight in a T-41. Somewhere over Georgia I think. Don't remember if we did a roll or not that night.

During my all expense paid vacation attending the SEA Wargames (2nd place) we used to 'dog-fight' with our Aussie counterparts (pardon the expression Tony - just going for historical accuracy here) They were in Helio Stallions and we were in U8s (Beech QueenAire). We'd listen to the secure 'FoxMike' as each worked our common control and figure out who was in what mission area. Then go for the kill :twisted: The ensuing 'evasive manuevers' (as we called it during the asschewing later) wreaked havoc of course with our super super nav systems. The King Aires (U21) was just enough bigger and heavier that I don't think anyone (I knew of anyway) ever horsed it around.

Official disclaimer: The above statements are untrue and represent lies told under severe physical coercion. I never actually did any of those things and I'll never do them again, SIR!

Dirk, the Helio Stallion was impressive. A PT6 with wings. It could take off or land shorter than a loaded Huey. B model anyway. Come to think of it, lots of things can takeoff shorter than a loaded B model.

APKhaos
01-20-2005, 12:18 AM
I had the great good fortune to do my first degree with a scholarship from Hawker De Havilland - a major military and civilian aero operation. For part of my tenure on the civilian side, I ran flight control set-up operations for Beechcraft [HDeH was the Australian distributor for Beech].

Aside from the usual hairy delivery flight stories, some of the best fun was riding with our chief test pilot, one Black Jack Walker, who took great pleasure in barrel rolling the Beech Baron during demo flights.

CrewChief
01-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Tony,

Before we all get into trouble speculating on the aircraft we didn't do aerobatics in ...

Where did you race the gliders? Was this the organized head to head stuff or the diamonds? I am just barely knowledgable about how that all works; but interested as gliders were one of the more fun things I ever did aloft.

(The most fun, of course was at 5,280 feet, but that of course would be for another forum entirely) :lol:

APKhaos
01-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Where did you race the gliders? Was this the organized head to head stuff or the diamonds? I am just barely knowledgable about how that all works; but interested as gliders were one of the more fun things I ever did aloft.

This was all in Australia. Gliding there is club-based, with club instructors - very much like the PCA set-up, except that the clubs owned thier own fleet of gliders. These were everything from two-place trainers to two-place high performance models for advanced soaring/race technique/mountain flying training to single seat racers that club members could race. Many [most] people eventually owned their own aircraft. Mine was an FAI Open Class [unlimited] racer.

Diamonds? I have all three FAI Diamond awards. Diamond height [gain of 16,404 feet after launch] was hard to find in Australia. Bagged that one with a flight to 37,560 feet over Pikes Peak in CO.

Racing was State and National Championship meets. Never made the international teams - they were for the full-time guys with more money and time than I had. Did fairly well at the State & Nat level though.

Did a lot of instructing. It was a lot like PCA - a perfect way to give back. Must say that it was reassuring to have a set of controls available for the odd moment when the student got ambition confused with ability. Instructing in cars with no ability to take control took a little getting used to for me :shock:.

Chopper Dropper
01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Tony, did I ever mention I REALLY like dual controls. Thank God the egg beaters I instructed in had them.
Dirk