PDA

View Full Version : MD Historic Tags - Changed to 20 yrs

frogers911
02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
FYI-
Since my engine rebuild has taken a bit longer then I expected and I am due for emissions I happened to check on this. There are restrictions to having historic tags but you don't need an MD inspection or emission testing.

Maryland MVA has changed their policy for historic tags from 25 years to 20 years.

http://www.marylandmva.com/AboutMVA/INFO/27300-28T.htm#historic

cmartin
02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Nice

I've had them on a few cars, nothing like driving an uninspected vehicle. :)

BTW - I'm due for emissions too, but my engine is in 100 pieces. There is a link on the MVA website for a ~3 mo extension, no questions asked.

markwemple
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
That or pay the extra fees in relation to the extension. I think being a onth late is an extra $15.

Dave O
02-01-2007, 01:50 PM
That or pay the extra fees in relation to the extension. I think being a onth late is an extra $15.

I requested an extension twice (total of 6 months) when I was recently installing a Subaru engine in my VW Vanagon. When I finally went for the inspection the fee was still the standard one, no extra. :)

This may not apply if you wait until after the initial inspection date to request the extension.

markwemple
02-01-2007, 01:51 PM
That's cool. It won't apply if you wait. (IMO)

frogers911
02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I was able to do the following so far with my emissions:

1st Notice - online extension (3 months I believe)

2nd Notice - allow the date to pass. You will an extra month and a red notice with a $15 fee. Fill out form #EP-009 which is a certified statement form explaining why you haven't done the emissions test (i.e. engine being rebuilt). I don't remember how long this gets you but its at least 3 months.

3rd Notice - Unable to extend online. I let this one pass again got the extra month (red notice). I called this time and they extended another 3 months.

I believe the late fees are waived.

cmartin
02-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Good to know.

Now, why is the rebuild taking so long???

frogers911
02-01-2007, 02:33 PM
After I wrote that I asked myself the same question. Too much work and not enough play time. I do have everything cleaned and ready to go back together.

I will probably be trying to organize a rebuild party sometime in the next few weeks, after I get my heater working in my garage.

William Miller
02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
That's all good news, especially for those with Carerra's that can now swop to SSI's. They might just pass anyway!

I like the loose term "occasional transportation" !
Been stopped twice so far and no one has ever asked where I was going.
(I'm always going to a club event or to get the car serviced or something like that anyway!)

My Cab passed once without the cat.

BTW, you still have my measuring stuff?
Sort of lost track:)

keithmckenney
02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the post!

I've got a '76 toyota fj40 with historic tags ....but never considered this for my '88 944.

The MD MVA historic tag application form says the car must be 20 calendar years old or older.

So, what does this mean exactly?

If the car was registered in 1987, is it eligible to be registered as historic in 2007?

Or if it is a model year 1988 does it have to wait until 2008?

curious minds....

Dr K
02-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I was able to do the following so far with my emissions:

1st Notice - online extension (3 months I believe)

2nd Notice - allow the date to pass. You will an extra month and a red notice with a $15 fee. Fill out form #EP-009 which is a certified statement form explaining why you haven't done the emissions test (i.e. engine being rebuilt). I don't remember how long this gets you but its at least 3 months.

3rd Notice - Unable to extend online. I let this one pass again got the extra month (red notice). I called this time and they extended another 3 months.

I believe the late fees are waived.I did something similar about 3 years ago, when the car was at IMA. The problem is that they don't delay when the next emission inspection is due, so it was like 9 months later! :XX

Peter

smdubovsky
02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
FR, I don't know you but I owe you huge (Don't worry I wont hug you, maybe just buy a beer!). The 911 is STILL waiting for paint and reassembly and is past due for emissions (I've extended it up to a year on two differrent occasions before!)

I have to go to the DMV to register the trailer so I'll swap the 911 tags at the same time. SWEET!

SMD
________
VERMONT DISPENSARIES (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

lpsalsaman
02-02-2007, 07:38 PM
That is great! Now I can get SSI's put in or at least get the bypass tube for my 85 Targa. Plus, the good thing about MD is that they don't give you a lot of stuff about driving the ride often.

frogers911
02-08-2007, 10:06 AM
smdubovsky:

Glad its helps and I am never one to turn down a beer

lpsalsaman:

Yep your right about MD. I had historic tags on both my VW bus & bug and drove them around all the time never had any problems.

keithmckenney
02-08-2007, 10:34 AM
FWIW

I called Maryland MVA to sort out the question 'when is a 20 year old Porsche considered 20 years old for historic tags'?

Maryland MVA said one could register a 1987 car with historic tags but NOT a 1988. Have to wait until 2008 for that one.

MBuck951
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
FWIW

I called Maryland MVA to sort out the question 'when is a 20 year old Porsche considered 20 years old for historic tags'?

Maryland MVA said one could register a 1987 car with historic tags but NOT a 1988. Have to wait until 2008 for that one.

Thats ok, i can wait. thanks for checking up on that

lpsalsaman
02-08-2007, 03:24 PM
smdubovsky:

Glad its helps and I am never one to turn down a beer

lpsalsaman:

Yep your right about MD. I had historic tags on both my VW bus & bug and drove them around all the time never had any problems.

Exactly! My buddy across the way drives his 79 Vette all of the time and never has any issues at all. The other cool thing is the fact that I can bypass the "cat" and hook up the sport exhaust. It is going to be sweet! :D

William Miller
02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I have no clue about how Porsche releases new models, but, what if a 1988 model was actually built in 1987? I've seen some Porsche's with the born on date on the door jamb sticker. I don't know if it would work, but its a good argument. I registered the 81 in Dec O5. I went to MVA at 5:55 on a Friday afternoon and by the time my number was called, no one was intrested at even looking at the form. I didn't even sign it.

FWIW